help setting up rear mech needed!! please!

swagger
swagger Posts: 111
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
hi chaps.

i bought an xt771 medium cage a couple of days ago. when i bought it i was told it had been run as part of 3x9 setup.

im running 3x8 and i cant get the mech to pick up 1 and 2. can get all the others tho. have a ballsed up and bought somthing the doesnt suit? or am i doing somthing wrong?

to get it to stay on the smallest on the back the screw has to be all the way in, the high adjustet screw is all the way out!

i have never done this before as ive always run single speed.

many thanks
joe
"People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
Lance Armstrong

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need to either set the stop screw or adjust the tension.

read the great How To on parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • swagger
    thanks for that mate. useful stuff!

i still cant remedy the problem tho!
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong
  • nicklouse
    have you read the instructions?

one screw stops the mech falling off the cogs at one end and the other stops it falling off the other.

the tension sets the position it has between each shift.

all it is is set up. and your stops are wrong.

also make sure nothing is bent.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • swagger
    ive read the park tools page through a couple of thimes and it seems that theres not enough adjustment to to allow the mech all the way to the 2 lowest gears.

even with the high adjuster screw set so that it is moved as far in the correct direction as possible.

does that make sense?

joe
    Lance Armstrong
  • Give this a go - superb instructions -

Here!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Have you released the cable, set the H & L limit screws with no tension on the cable.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • swagger
    right!!

i think ive sorted the H & L adjustments and have now got all the gears!
    next its the indexing! cant seem to ge it quite right. i have an extra click on the shefter that does ZERO :o and its a bit sketchy.

i had a quick go, but ive had a long day n im knackered and to be honest........ im getting a bit bored of ars*ing about with it now :roll:

i'll have another go after work tomorrow, thanks for all the advice guys its much appreciated.

id never get it sorted on my jack!!!!!

atb
    joe
    Lance Armstrong
  • swagger
    hi guys,

pretty much sorted now.

tho i still have an extra click on the shifter that does nothing, i think the cause of this is that its an lx 9 speed shifter and im running an 8 speed cassette.

does this sound right?

previous to fitting the xt i had a long cage deore, and i dont remember it having a spare click.
    any more pointers or solutions greatley appreciated.

thanks again
    joe
    Lance Armstrong
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What shifters do you have? 9 speed shifters do not work on 8 speed cogs. Or vice versa.
  • supersonic
    Ah, LX 9 speed. You need to change your set up.
  • nicklouse
    FFS.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you already have 9 speed shifters, buy a 9 speed cassette. Cheapest option.
    And a chainwhip and cassette tool.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    And new chain. And hopefully not new chain rings needed!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe some 8 speed shifters off Ebay. Cheaper than that lot anyway. And 24 is more than enough if previously used single speed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swagger
    ive got a new set of the wheels on the way, so have bought an slx 9 speed cassette and a new 9 speed chain.

when the wheels turn arrive i'll fit it all up and have another go.

cheers guy,
    joe
    Lance Armstrong
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    LOL!!!