Missing Spoke...

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all

Whilst cleaning the Spesh earlier (and fitting a new chain) i noticed that one of the rear spokes was busted. Have no idea how long its been broken. Have removed it, but should i avoid using the bike until ive replaced it ?

Also, will this have caused the wheel to be mishapen ? it doesnt really look buckled, but when i look at it in profile when sat on the saddle, it does appear to have a bit of flex in it

Lastly, the last time i straightened a wheel, v brakes were all the rage and you used the brakes to see whether the wheel was true. How do you do it with hydraulic brakes ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wheel is probably ok, I wouldn't ride it, but get a new one and put it in - takes 5 minutes. Suggest you take an unbroken one out and take it with you for size.
    Last time Evans charged me a whole 20p for a spoke.
    I ride with V's so easy to true, but my son does it by eye - never been too concerned about being a tiny bit out though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best way I've found of truing a disc wheel (without a jig, obviously!) is by bracing a chinagraph pencil on the fork or stays, and rotating the wheel.
    Slide the chinagraph slowly inwards, and it will mark any highspots.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Best way I've found of truing a disc wheel (without a jig, obviously!) is by bracing a chinagraph pencil on the fork or stays, and rotating the wheel.
    Slide the chinagraph slowly inwards, and it will mark any highspots.

thats a top piece of advice

cheers