Avid bleed kit - possible to use on Hayes?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I seriously need to bleed my Stroker Trail brakes, and I have an unused Avid bleed kit. Are there any parts of this kit that I can use to bleed the Hayes, or is it soley for use with Avid brakes?

Cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    totally different fittings.

you maybe able to bodge something.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • you maybe able to bodge something.

Never a truer word spoken, mate...I can bodge, which is what worries me!

I've looked at buying the Hayes kit, but I've read reviews about it that are non too favourable.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    i bought the hayes kit and it was fine.

i managed to get a good bleed first time around. the only 'bad' thing about it is they dont give you much hose so you need to put a bottle on the bars somehow to catch the fluid, but thats not even that much of a problem.

if you've already got a bleed kit (bottle for the fluid and some hose, then the only bit you'll need is the bleed fitting that goes into the caliper

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20007

im sure my kit came with 2 fittings, one for my HFX9 and another one like the one in the link. if i didnt chuck it away, and i can find it, your welcome to it if its any use
  • Bodge away,

I've used a hybrid of a avid and hope kit to bleed my stroker brakes and all is ok,

Just make sure you take your time.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best thing about Avid is the bleed kit. Works really well and easy to use.

Worst thing about Avid is the brakes!

I'm considering changing to something else, but I've already spent money on the bleed kit. I don't think I can flog a part used kit either. Though maybe I'll take a gamble on the Elixirs being any good and that they don't have the same hassle as the damn Juicy 3. Think the kit works with Elixir as well.