Garmin 305

macondo01
macondo01 Posts: 706
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
I am thinking of buying one of these. The one with heart rate. I know it doesnt measure power but would it be useful for turbo sessions please? Its main use for me would be on the road but it would be a bonus if it was useful for turbo workouts. Cheers.
"Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    To use it on a turbo you would really need to get the speed sensor package as well - otherwise all it will do is record your heart rate and time.

Also, why a 305? Have you looked at the newer (and IMHO much better) 500?
  • No I haven't looked at the 500. Ah ok so does it otherwise tell your speed by GPS? Thks for feedback.

National Lampoon
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    I use a 305 with a cadence meter. It works well out (you can get a rubber mount for your bars) as well as on the rollers.

One thing. It can't record the cadence meter and the HRM together. For that you need to look at the 310XT.

I use a 305 as I also run. If you only bike then you could look at a bike specific model.
    A biking runner :)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Hrun wrote:
    I use a 305 with a cadence meter. It works well out (you can get a rubber mount for your bars) as well as on the rollers.

One thing. It can't record the cadence meter and the HRM together. For that you need to look at the 310XT.

I use a 305 as I also run. If you only bike then you could look at a bike specific model.

Eh?
    More problems but still living....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    amaferanga wrote:
    Hrun wrote:

Eh?

+1

EH?
  • Hrun
    Unless you can tell me otherwise with the cadence meter on the bike it doesn't recognise the HRM. Simples.
  • I have never known a garmin device that doesnt allow multiple pairing of accessories !!!
    I may be wrong but they all connect separately i.e. cadence sensor, HRM , PowerTap etc...
  • I have never known a garmin device that doesnt allow multiple pairing of accessories !!!
    I may be wrong but they all connect separately i.e. cadence sensor, HRM , PowerTap etc...
  • Anonymous
    Hrun wrote:
    Unless you can tell me otherwise with the cadence meter on the bike it doesn't recognise the HRM. Simples.

Mine (and everyone else's) does!!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    NapoleonD wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Hrun wrote:

Eh?

+1

EH?

+1

EH? Exqueeze me!? Baking powder!?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • So with cadence, speed and heart rate it sounds as though the 305 would be really useful on the turbo?

National Lampoon
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I can only comment that I use a 305 and it is spot on at measuring cadence (sensor), speed (sensor OR GPS) and heartrate. Whether other devices perform 'better', I don't know.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Anonymous
    Macondo01 wrote:
    So with cadence, speed and heart rate it sounds as though the 305 would be really useful on the turbo?

Yes!

Very!

You can even set it to display 'zones' that you have programmed for each parameter. And program intervals in etc etc.
  • Ho ho I am very excited about getting one now! Thanks chaps.

National Lampoon
  • Hrun
    Cool, I will have another go. Maybe the battery had gone on the HRM? I don't use it that often.
  • Hrun
    One thing that might make a difference to this conversation is I am referring to the Forerunner 305 watch. I didn't realise there was a bike specific Edge 305.
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    It records both, Giles. I thought that I read that it was one or the other which is why I did not purchase the cadence sensor. Two cyclists this week who have used the 305FR have confirmed that it records both simultaneously!
  • Hrun
    Furrag wrote:
    It records both, Giles. I thought that I read that it was one or the other which is why I did not purchase the cadence sensor. Two cyclists this week who have used the 305FR have confirmed that it records both simultaneously!
    Might have read it in the same place ;). Hellos :)
  • i use a forerunner 305 with hrm and cadence sensor works on the road and the turbo.
    The speed on the turbo seems high but great apart from that.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    celt1972 wrote:
    i use a forerunner 305 with hrm and cadence sensor works on the road and the turbo.
    The speed on the turbo seems high but great apart from that.

Eh? You mean its high compared to what you'd do for a comparable effort level on the road? There's no reason why speed on the turbo should be the same as speed on the road.

But do you have the wheel circumference set correctly?
    More problems but still living....