Iconic Sporting Moments

grantus
grantus Posts: 690
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
Following on from the thread in Pro Race re. childhood heroes, a few posts got me to thinking.

What sporting events or incidents have had the greatest impact on you ie. at the time watching it unfold and also now, years later they still remain as a vivid memory for you?

For me,

Heysel 1985 - didn't fully appreciate what was happening at the time as a 9-year old but can vividly recall watching it unfold live on tv.

Hillsborough

Gazza Italia 90

Senna's crash in Italy

Man Utd.'s 2 last minute goals in 1999

any more???

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Charlie George, lying on his back on the Wembley turf in 1971 changed my life.

Archie Gemmel's goal against Holland in the 1978 World Cup still brings a tear to the eye.

Michael Thomas "it's up for grabs now!" at Anfield in 1989 was the most thrilling moment of all.

Stanger's try against England in 1990 for the Grand Slam comes quite close.

Less partisan moments:

I hate to say it but a goal scored by Mark Hughes in a European final had me off my seat with admiration for the build up and the finish. It was at that point that I realised that it was possible to admire the enemy at work. Can't remember the year, but some MU diehard fan (from Truro) will probably put me right.

Seve Ballesteros winning the Open at St Andrews, just for the sheer joy of it.

Pat Cash climbing up the stands at Wimbledon.

Oh dear, you've got me started now!!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Ones that spring to mind off the top of my head:

Abdujaparovs crash on the Champs-Élysées.

Scott Gibbs try against England at Wembley.

Scott Gibbs tackle on the SA front row, in the Lions tour.

Joanh Lomu trashing the England backrow in 1995 World Cup

THAT Shane Warne delivery to Gatting.

England beating Holland at Euro 96 and England losing to West Germany in Italia 90.
  • Bill Beaumont's beer gut
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maradona's Goal v England in 86 (Not the handball one!) In fact Maradona in all the 86 WC.

Jonny Wilkinson's final kick in the 03 WC Final sat watching it with my 12 day old baby.

Cancellara's win on St. 3 to Compiegne in Yellow of the 2007 TdF. Iconic to me as it inspired me to actually get off my fat a$$ and do some riding myself. My bank balance has never looked back.

Boris Becker diving around like a loon in 85 Wimbledon.

I really remember 85 and 86, I was 10/11 and all the days seemed to be hot and hazy as I remember them. Had fantastic holidays camping in France too. This probably explains my fond memories!
  • pneumatic wrote:

Michael Thomas "it's up for grabs now!" at Anfield in 1989 was the most thrilling moment of all.

yes! most enjoyable!! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    NapoleonD wrote:

Jonny Wilkinson's final kick in the 03 WC Final sat watching it with my 12 day old baby.

quote]

definitive! Hope you didnt hurl the baby away in triumph or similar. I like your Cancellara one too!

Herman Maier crashing at the Olympics - Lindsey Jacobellis in the boardX too...

Steve Peat winning the dh rainbow stripes

I have lots of others but they re only special cos I was there...Essex beating Middlesex in a random twenty20 match by hitting a 4 off the last ball, England thrashing Wales in the six nations a few years back, just because I was in Cardiff Uni great hall surrounded by Welsh people who booed God save the queen - it was on from then..... :twisted:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Roland Ratzenbergers crash in Italy!!!!
  • grantus wrote:
    Senna's crash in Italy

+1
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    edited September 2010
    Stefan Edberg winning Wimbledon

Cathy Freeman winning 400m gold at the Sydney Olympics

Liverpool winning the FA Cup final in 2001, Liverpool v Porto September 11 2001

Ulrike Maier's fatal crash on a downhill race in '94

Ben Johnson, Zola Budd and Mary Decker at the Olympics

Mary Lou Retton winning all-round gymnastics gold at the LA Olympics

Lance Armstrong winning up Alpe d'Huez at the 2001 Tour

Beloki's crash

David Coulthard winning the Melbourne GP in 2003

I remember I was on the way to the Peak District when I heard about Senna's crash.
  • Kris Akabusi stretching and overtaking the beaten USA fella in the relay at ? World Athletics(or was it Olympics...doesnt matter)...

Seb Coe beating Ovett in 1500m 1980 Olympics having been beaten few days before in 800m....

Bernhard Langer's putt that missed for USA to win Ryder Cup in USA some yrs ago....
  • eddie cavanagh dodging the coppers on the pitch 1966 fa cup final

'bollocks to your dream final' joe royle 1995 post semi final press conference

stephen roche la plagna 1987

the death of fabio casartelli

dave beasants penalty save at wembley agains the shite
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • LFC's mighty comeback in istanbul. Town went mental that night

Hillsborough, when it came on radio merseyside we all thought it was just the start delayed.

78 world cup final

Robsons quick goal against the french, zonked off me head on me dads homebrew.

dwile flonking world championships 2001.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Lemond's TdF victory in 89.

Tyson destroying Trevor Berbick.

Ben Johnson's 100m Gold.

Colin Edwards & Troy Bayliss at Imola.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Lyn the Leap Davies, winning Olympic Gold at Tokyo, the 60's.

( His Mrs was our art teacher, and we used to stare up her miniskirt when she sat on the desk in front of us.)
  • pneumatic wrote:

Archie Gemmel's goal against Holland in the 1978 World Cup still brings a tear to the eye.

Stanger's try against England in 1990 for the Grand Slam comes quite close.
    This has to be my favourite as I was at Murrayfield that day. Mate got me a ticket for either £4 or £6 and I went to the game despite being offered £100 for it. Brilliant!!!
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Clint Marcelle blasting the winning goal that put Barnsley into the Premier League
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Jocky Wilson 89
  • Gordon Banks' save Mexico 1970

Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford v Newcastle

Ali v Foreman (dope on a rope, Zaire)

Red rum winning his first grand national from Crisp.

Dennis Taylors black ball winner v Steve Davis 17-16

One very close to my heart Russ Cooke having his penalty saved in the shoot-out of the 2005 fa trophy final, to break all Hucknall town fans hearts.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Chief's tackle on Andy Robinson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzljDKnEgg

Ben Johnson winning the 100mtrs Olympic final. I know what happened after but staying up that night and watching the most awesome display of power still sticks in my mind.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Charlie George, lying on his back on the Wembley turf in 1971 changed my life.

+1 :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Usain Bolt winning the 100m in Beijing - because I was there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    8 seconds in 89' The race was fantastic itself but also because I was having the summer of my life living in Embrun in the Haute Alpes. I had seen both the mens and womens tour up close and personal in addition to over many hours in a very nice bar.

Gerhard Berger going up in flames. Hit me hard. As a sensitive teenager I was convinced I had just seen a man die. (never saw the Senna crash)

One that no-one will remember but Nottingham Panthers reversing a 5-0 deficit to a 6-5 lead before eventually drawing in a packed stadium with an awesome atmosphere. (one of those had to be there moments to appreciate).

Pirmin Zubriggen, downhill olympic gold.

Alberto Tomba slalom olympic gold in 1988. Best second run ever (by anyone) perfect skiing.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Daley Thompson winning decathlon gold in 1984 (I got the big G boys, the big G!)
    Nigel Mansell's tyre blow out in 1986 at Adelaide GP
    Liverpool winning the UEFA cup in 2001
    Nigel Mansell trying to pass Senna at Monaco in 1992 for the last 5 laps
    Porsche finishing 1-2-3 at Le Mans in 1982 (I was there, aged 5)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Ivanisevic passing Henman while on his knees. I hate tennis but was watching in my tennis loving Serb girlfriends flat with her tennis loving Croatian friend and her Croatian pro tennis coach boyfriend. Until that point I had been hoping that he might win just to shut them up. They stopped laughing at him after that shot only to laugh at me when I threw a wobbly declared Henman a flipping disgrace and said its a stupid flipping game anyway.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Larry Kahn becoming champion for the first time in 1983
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    watching england give holland a right shoeing at Euro 96, won't ever see a team play as well as that for another decade at least

greg and the professeur in 89, the tour became a minor religious event in the hornby household by then and still is

2005 edgebaston, actually all of that ashes series, ironically I started following cricket just as Nasser was taking over, I can remember the chant of 'we're the worst team in the world' after losing a series to a dismal team

the Rugby world cup final, just the most tense game from whistle to Johnny's free kick
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • usain bolt when he smashed the WR's at Beijing!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Great thread.

Mike Powell in the 91 world championships in Tokyo. Powell and Lewis brought the very best out of each other in the long jump. Powell beats Beamon's long standing record in the long jump, 8.95m. Still stands. Respect.

Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3. Collymore scores winner in injury time. 91 maybe.

Lara 501 not out for warwickshire. 94 if memory serves.

Van Basten volley. Euro 88.

So, so many. Too many to mention. Great to be reminded of others that have slipped out of mind.

Good thread.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    dmch2 wrote:
    Daley Thompson winning decathlon gold in 1984 (I got the big G boys, the big G!)
    Nigel Mansell's tyre blow out in 1986 at Adelaide GP
    Liverpool winning the UEFA cup in 2001
    Nigel Mansell trying to pass Senna at Monaco in 1992 for the last 5 laps
    Porsche finishing 1-2-3 at Le Mans in 1982 (I was there, aged 5)
    Ah, I was in Dortmund - that was a great night (and a great day).
    Liverpool v Roma at Anfield in 2002 - best game I have ever been to (in the Kop, went on my own as OH working away so I had the season ticket/match ticket. Electrifying atmosphere. Every time the guy next to me swore at the ref (which was quite a lot), he'd pat me on the arm and say "sorry love". Just brilliant :D )
  • http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Z0GMBaSoOOM/R3-RCZWy9yI/AAAAAAAAAs8/zbh8SMmzzxc/s400/gavin-henson-matthew-tait.jpg

Sits back, content with post................decides never to return to thread in fear of reprisals