Thought I'd try a timed 10mile...

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
been getting a few miles in so thought I'd time myself over 10mile...

10mile didn't sound much, but it is surprisingly hard work!
Measured my route on bikehike, then clocked it with my computer, 5mile out and 5 back...

29 mins with a couple of stops for traffic/lights.. ave speed just over 20mph.

quite pleased, but now I know what it entails feel confident I could a couple of mins off next time...

Comments

• I really want to time myself over 10 miles as i want to have a go at TT next year, theres a local ckub that use a route just where i live.

Think id be happy to get 30min or below, but we will see. :lol:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Be carefull, its addictive.

I did the same, ran a local 10mile TT course on my own a couple of times, then took the plunge and did it "for real", its a blast :D
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    This is a bloody good effort, fair play! :D

I'll be doing much the same as danowat very soon using the regional champs route for this year and then joining the local club. I just need a new bike!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Doing it 'for real' makes a big difference, that number on your back takes a big chunk of time off!

Plus the routes usually don't involve traffic lights etc.
  • I did my 10 mile commute today which is 9.6 miles...

40 mins, but a massive hill right in the middle and in heavy traffic! ARGH!

Would love a nice clean, traffic light and traffic (and hill!) free 10 miler to TT on!
    exercise.png

So it was hilly too? If so then cracking effort.

I haven't done this since I was out on the Gold Coast in Australia. 27 minutes. It was completely flat and I swear the wind was favourable on the outward & return!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    That's fast! There's a 10 mile circuit I do on my MTB, but that takes me 50 mins :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's fast! There's a 10 mile circuit I do on my MTB, but that takes me 50 mins :(

Bit different on an MTB!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Doing it 'for real' makes a big difference, that number on your back takes a big chunk of time off!

Plus the routes usually don't involve traffic lights etc.

+1
    That number on your back is the cheapest way of increasing speed, several minutes at least, better than any bling wheels!
    It's very addictive and you know you're hooked when you puke up on the line and STILL think its good fun!
  • Did my first TT last night, only a 5 mile 14m50s thought I was going to die with the effort, but actually good fun, legs aching like mad this morning. Already want to go back and beat the time, but next event is in March. They tell me longer TT's are easier because you tend to pace yourself better, we will see next year!

Was passed by one other rider who went past me like I was stood still, was a little disheartened until I was told that he goes past everyone.

Local club (Rugby Road CC) were very friendly and approchable including basic advice, especially loved the cup of tea at the end.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    not exactly what I'd call hilly route. basically flat, max climb is only 48feet :lol::lol: .

I'll have another go over the weekend, hopefully knock a minute off!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    This post has inspired me. I'm planning my 10 mile route and will report back tomorrow evening :D
  • I am currently trying to get my 16 mile route to under 1 hr, it is fairly hilly infact it starts with a 4 mile gradual climb out of town! My best time is 1 hour and 1 second :lol:
    does anyone know a website that has TT's listed and can you enter them without being in a club?

Bobby
    getting faster, fitter, and skinnier by the day!
  • danowat
    You can enter many club events without being a member on a "try" basis, but only a few before you need to join a club, which isn't expensive anyway (£10 a year ish)

You need to be a club member to ride in open events.

CTT website lists some club, and all open events.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    CTT website.
    Plenty of help to be found in there...
    Do club runs as often as you want, £2 a time. I know our club don't bother about membership, as there are always members of other clyubs there, and I do the same, by visiting other clubs...
    Good luck. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • danowat
    I know you can do other clubs TT's without being a member of their club, but can youcontinue doing club TT's unattached?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Just thought I'd report back after finally doing my 10 mile timed route

28:30

Pretty please with that considering I ride a 10.5 Kg cross bike with road tyres on, there were a few small hills (well bumps really) and I had to turn around halfway (must have cost at least 30 seconds)
    :D
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    got a TT course near where i live - 12miles (two loops of 6) haven't done it with the club, but tried it twice out of curiousity, 1st time i clocked 35m 50s @20mph, 2nd time - last week 35m @20.6mph will be happy/amazed to get down to 32m gonna keep on plugging tho, and as has been posted maybe a number on my back will trim a minute off too :wink:
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    danowat wrote:
    I know you can do other clubs TT's without being a member of their club, but can youcontinue doing club TT's unattached?

If the club has designated their event as "Come and try it" then you can ride without being a member of a club, otherwise they might let you ride a couple then expect you to take up membership of a CTT affiliated club.
  • Stoo48 wrote:
    Did my first TT last night, only a 5 mile 14m50s thought I was going to die with the effort, but actually good fun, legs aching like mad this morning. Already want to go back and beat the time, but next event is in March. They tell me longer TT's are easier because you tend to pace yourself better, we will see next year!

Was passed by one other rider who went past me like I was stood still, was a little disheartened until I was told that he goes past everyone.

Local club (Rugby Road CC) were very friendly and approchable including basic advice, especially loved the cup of tea at the end.
    im near rugby and would love to have a go at a 10 or 5 mile tt . where did it start ? and do you have to be a member of the club ect .
  • I did my fastest time on my 10 mile comute today, 37:09!

As reported before its got a pretty Evil hill in the middle, but for a 16st lump I dont think thats too embarrasing! =D

You are right though, its addictive!!! Since I got my Galaxy S with Endomondo, Ive timed everything Ive done wanting to be faster and faster each time.
    exercise.png