Southampton, Winchester Area

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited October 2010 in MTB rides
Just wanted to gauge how many bikers we had in the area around southampton and Winchester. And if we had enough people and interest maybe could set up a ride. This also includes the New forest and Portsmouth way...

I usually ride around queen elizabeth and occasionally venture to Swinley (this sat). My local loop is in some woods near Eastleigh. I occasionally also ride around the New forest.

So reply if your in or around that area :D

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I'm on the Hampshire/West Sussex border... so my local trails are Kingley Vale, QECP and the South Downs.

This year I've been out riding with the Kingley Vale Mountain Bikers, who, as the site will tell you are "a network of riders based around the Portsmouth / Chichester / Petersfied area... not a club, just a group of folk who meet up for rides".
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Where abouts in Eastleigh do you ride? I lived there several years ago and there was some good tracks between Bishopstoke and Fair Oak. Another good loop was from Eastleigh to Twyford, up to Cheesefoot Head and back down to Fair Oak.

I'm on the Hampshire/Sussex border and hoping to get to Swinley in the near future. I usually ride round QE, Weavers Down, Oxney Moss.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • booldawg wrote:
    Where abouts in Eastleigh do you ride? I lived there several years ago and there was some good tracks between Bishopstoke and Fair Oak. Another good loop was from Eastleigh to Twyford, up to Cheesefoot Head and back down to Fair Oak.

I'm on the Hampshire/Sussex border and hoping to get to Swinley in the near future. I usually ride round QE, Weavers Down, Oxney Moss.

generally in the woods in bishopstoke, stoke park woods? and occasionally around the durley area. where abouts did you start around eastleigh and was it offroad?

Yer swinley is worth the trek, plenty of riding and its decent if you know where to go...no sign posted runs though so need to ask a local or go with someone who knows the place. been meaning to get up QE as havent been there in a while.
  • Yes, it was Stoke Park woods I rode in, from the bottom car park (Park Road?) and come out at the top in Fair Oak where people had built a little BMX track.

Swinleys about 25 miles away from me and checking out the clips on YouTube it looks pretty good.

• I'm living in Colden Common at the moment so I'm on your doorstep!

I generally head towards cheesefoot head and the start of south downs way, but I've been exploring stoke park and lordswood recently as well.

Definitely up for a group ride at some point, send me a PM if you're heading out and I'll see what I can do!
  • spork wrote:
    I'm living in Colden Common at the moment so I'm on your doorstep!

I generally head towards cheesefoot head and the start of south downs way, but I've been exploring stoke park and lordswood recently as well.

Definitely up for a group ride at some point, send me a PM if you're heading out and I'll see what I can do!

stoke park woods has recently got some work done to it, jumps, gaps and north shore bits in an area closer to the Olympic way houses. I may be down there next week at some point but i tend to stick to the xc and singletrack thrashing.

Is cheesefoot any good?
  • booldawg wrote:
    Yes, it was Stoke Park woods I rode in, from the bottom car park (Park Road?) and come out at the top in Fair Oak where people had built a little BMX track.

Swinleys about 25 miles away from me and checking out the clips on YouTube it looks pretty good.

yer the little bmx thing is rubbish compared to what has been built now in the woods.

Swinleys worth the drive trust me, ill be up there tomorrow all day, take about an hour for me to get there.
  • Cheesefoot is okay for putting in some distance off road, but there isn't a lot of technical stuff or singletrack to speak of.

Might have to visit Swinley some time soon if you think its worth the trip!
  • Southamptonite here, pm me if you guys fancy a run out whilst we still have the weather!
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • spork wrote:
    Cheesefoot is okay for putting in some distance off road, but there isn't a lot of technical stuff or singletrack to speak of.

Might have to visit Swinley some time soon if you think its worth the trip!

Went to Swinley for the 1st time on Sunday and was suitably impressed. TBH I was expecting not to enjoy it as I'd been to Glentress only 10 days earlier (my 1st ever trial centre experience) and loved GT to bits.

You do have to explore to find decent bits - they are out there! I found alot more enjoyment in finding lovely runs of singletrack whereas at GT the entertainment is 'laid on' for you. GT is a rollercoaster ride whereas Swinley is a bit more 'raw' but rewarding. GT has a clear understandable one-way system, keep your wits about you at Swinley as bikes appear towards you on narrow singletrack with little or no room for passing - all adds to the experience.

At one point I actually managed to leave the forest without realising it. I was riding down a long, wide sandy track that looked like it went on for miles. The intrepid explorer in me wanted to carry on but had to meet the missus at the car in 30 minutes - one for next time.

I managed to find some lovely runs simply by climbing as far up as I could and then looking for singletrack (or following serious looking DH rigs!)

• hi southampton here ride at swinley alot and new forest just back from 100k across exmoor
  • Used to ride at stokepark woods had a nice little loop through there, then the forestry work started and trashed it, not been back since the start of the year as it was in such shocking condition, good to hear that there's been some 'work' done there. Will have to have a quick butchers up there soon.
  • Lummox wrote:
    Used to ride at stokepark woods had a nice little loop through there, then the forestry work started and trashed it, not been back since the start of the year as it was in such shocking condition, good to hear that there's been some 'work' done there. Will have to have a quick butchers up there soon.

yes i went down when they were doing the work, was a mess! most has been cleared up now and some work has been done if you know where to find it.
  • Ours haven't been trashed in those woods yet. We've spoken to the Forest Commission and Council. There's word of a meeting to discuss the future of the trails though...
    Ride hard. Jump big.

http://miloxc3.pinkbike.com/
  • jadamson wrote:
    spork wrote:
    I'm living in Colden Common at the moment so I'm on your doorstep!

stoke park woods has recently got some work done to it, jumps, gaps and north shore bits in an area closer to the Olympic way houses. I may be down there next week at some point but i tend to stick to the xc and singletrack thrashing.

Is cheesefoot any good?
    I build these trails. The North Shore we've built should have another drop next to it, but bigger. We haven't startegd building big yet as the council are not 100% about it.
    Ride hard. Jump big.

http://miloxc3.pinkbike.com/
  • Hi im up for meeting up. Im 29 and from portsmouth and new to all of this.

07858 011983 gimmie a text.

Cheers
    Dan
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hiya :D

We're just outside of Southampton and ride in the New Forest at least once a week. Am up for a get-together, or if anyone fancies joining us in the New Forest we ride every Wednesday evening rain or shine! PM me for more info :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc