Should I able to hear the air sound from my Reba Race forks

colint
colint Posts: 1,707
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Forgive me is this is a dumbass question, first MTB trying to get my around shock set up etc.

I've put the same amount of air the the pos and neg chambers, easy enough. Now, if I have the forks completely unlocked and compress them, I can hear a gush / wind sound. Is this just the forks working or could it be a leak ? It's more gush gush rather than a puncture style psss

thanks
Planet X N2A
Trek Cobia 29er

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    You sure it's not the oil in the rebound cartridge moving around?
  • colint
    Could be, I've no idea. I'm a recent immigrant from the land of silent road bikes
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Take the pressure reading, then again in a couple of days - if it's changes by more than escapes during dis/engagement - varies by pump but about 5psi if it's greater than that then would guess air leak.

BUT, I have 2 pairs of Rebas and they both make the noise you describe under compression and decomp.

Completely normal I'd guess - it's the oil, as Chedabob says.
  • Recon Races here, definitely the oil damping making the squelching noise you're hearing

Every pair of motorcycle and bike forks I've owned have made the same noise...
  • colint
    Thanks guys, now on to the rear shock....
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Yep, I hear a whoosh sound when I compress and release them.

A bit of rebound slows down the rate at which they come back up and makes them feel much better to ride with. Ride off some kerbs and experiment on settings. You remove a screw in bolt on the bottom of the left fork to access the adjuster.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bar Shaker wrote:

A bit of rebound slows down the rate at which they come back up and makes them feel much better to ride with. Ride off some kerbs and experiment on settings. You remove a screw in bolt on the bottom of the left fork to access the adjuster.

It should have a red adjuster on the bottom of the right hand fork leg. No need to remove it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    edited September 2010
    bails87 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

It should have a red adjuster on the bottom of the right hand fork leg. No need to remove it.

Which left leg, left when sitting on the bike or left when looking at the bike from the front? ,I'm fairly sure the rebound adjuster is a red knob on the bottom of the right leg (when sitting on the bike) like bails87 said. It also has a picture of a stag/hare dependant on how you interpret it and a tortoise just above it just so you know which way you're turning it
  • It's actually a hare, but hey that's only picking at 'em :wink:
  • angry_bird
    Nah, mine is definately a stag, or i'm fairly sure it's a stag, unless that hare has antlers, I'll have a look tomorrow and see
  • It's a hare - said antlers are actually floppy ears.... We are talking RS Rebas here...
  • angry_bird
    Still, I'm going to stand by it being a stag until I can check it myself, that said i seem to remember my old forks had a hare so these probably have too, if it is a hare i'm changing it to a stag because it will make me go faster
  • Think of the classic race, tort v hare, or tort v stag/deer??? Me thinks hare.
  • angry_bird
    Yeah me thinks that too, but it looks like a stag, could well be the ears on the hare that look like antlers but a stag is more fun, anyway if not some tipp-ex will soon sort it :wink:
  • angry_bird
    edited September 2010
    Double post :D
  • angry_bird
    I've just seen how it reselmbles a hare and it is as well it really is, wow, now that makes a lot more sense, still i'm making mine look more like a stag when i get home, my original post has been duly edited
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My Rebas have this on one side

HWs5K84F.jpg

and the second chamber air valve on the other.

Are yours different?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro