Shimano Double Ring Front Mech

x-isle
x-isle Posts: 794
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Does Shimano only make the double ring front mech in it's SLX and Saint range or are there XT and XTRs in double ring versions?

Thanks all.
Craig Rogers

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There will be XTR M980 to match the new double chainset, designed for bigger rings than SLX, there's not going to be an XT.
  • You can use an XT front mech on a dual ring setup.
  • njee20
    Very true, in fact you can use any mech you like on a double ring set up!
  • well apart from sram... sram gearing is crap. :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:
  • x-isle
    Ha ha, yeah, I know, I currently use an XT on my double and it works fine.

I was just wondering about if there are others made specifically for double. The Saint is only in 81 shell, so it counts that out, so would have to be an SLX.

I'm not a big fan of the XT fitted to my 5 at the moment though, just finding it hard to get it good for the chain rub compromise and was thinking of just trying another mech to see if it makes a difference which I doubt it will anyway.
    Craig Rogers
  • what gear combo is it rubbing in? there will always be a little rubbing now and then!
  • njee20
    well apart from sram... sram gearing is crap.

SRAM front mechs are certainly inferior to Shimano I'll agree there! Except XX of course, but that should be good for the price!

Grip Shift is the answer to stop front mech rub!
  • x-isle
    Yeah, I know, it changes depending where I've moved the mech position, as I'm trying various places (height, cable tension etc....).

I use the 2nd chainring and first 2 cassette rings most of the time, so getting it not to rub on those is the most important which is fine, but of course it then generally rubs lower down the cassette. I supposed it's a sacrifice to make when dumping the 3rd chainring. It means you're forced to use the smaller rears more.

One thing I did dabble with and worked quite well, but was a bit worried about the amount of tension on the cable. I adjusted the outerstop so that I could actually move the shifter to the "3rd ring" but it only moved enough to allow the lower cassette to be used and not actually shifting it off the middle chainring just moving it outwards slightly to stop rub. This of course didn't help with the granny and lower (not bottom 2, obviously don't use them) cassette rings.
    Craig Rogers
  • njee20
    I supposed it's a sacrifice to make when dumping the 3rd chainring. It means you're forced to use the smaller rears more.

Change your chain ring ratios perhaps, 28/40 was good for me with 9 speed. You should be able to get a mech set up adequately to not rub without needing the 3rd position.
  • x-isle
    Hmm, yeah, maybe it's about time I did look at the ratios of the front rings.

When I dumped the 3rd ring in favor of a bash, that was it. Never gave it any thought and just carried on just as is
    Craig Rogers