Who to service forks - Fishers or TFTuned

Ghostgraphics
Ghostgraphics Posts: 109
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

My Uturn Reba Teams are well over due for a service. I am not going to do it myself and I need a bit of advice as who to use to get the job done.

TFTuned will do the whole lot for £107 in collection and return delivery and promise that they will fell better than when they were new, which would be nice, especially as I bought them second hand.

Fishers quote £61 for oil and seals and £91 for full service inc bushings plus what ever my lbs charge for sending them off.

Has anyone got any experience of the results of both?

Cheers

Matt

Comments

• Eeeeerm i'd avoid fishers like the plague until they move to the new service centre.

Took me a fair few weeks and several attempts to get my forks done and still working. PM me if you want the grizzly details. To be fair, they got them done in the end, but personally my next service i'll either do my self or send to tftuned.
  • Nuff said.. just on the Sram website looking at the service videos...do I do it myself and save £35 or let the pros do it and just stick to in-between lower leg services. :?
  • ryan93
    ryan93 Posts: 186
    I've just bought all the stuff I need to service my Revelation 426's. Was alot cheaper than sending it off anywhere. From what I've read and watched doing it yourself doesn't seem too complexed, so long as you stick to the manuals and are methodical about the whole thing you shouldn't have any problems (touch wood :lol:)

I'll post the results of my DIY service on here once my stuff arrives from CRC on Friday.
  • yeah, it doesn't look too hard..but...
  • ryan93
    But....there's always the question of "What if something goes wrong?" or in my case my dad hovering round waiting for me to make a mistake and then tell me I should have gave it to the professionals.

Have you watched all the SRAM Tech videos on YouTube? I'm just going to sit my laptop next to me when I'm doing it and follow the videos and the pdf. manuals found here:

http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox ... anuals.php
  • Yeah, just been watching them but they dont have a uturn service video. If I do the job myself it will cost
    Seal kit for 32mm RockShox forks (wiper seals, oil seals, foam rings) £22.99, to replace the main seals
    Reba/Rev/Pike/Recon Motion Control Service Kit £17.40, to service the Motion Control damper
    Reba/Rev/Pike Air U-Turn Service Kit, £25.50, to service the Air U-Turn assembly.

5wt, 15wt and fork grease about £15.00

So thats about £80, which puts TFTuned at only £27 labour

I think that really sways it
  • ryan93
    Does TFTuned replace all of those parts, seems alot of work for a relatively small fee?

Do they all need replacing to begin with, no point in replacing them all for the sake of it.
    I haven't bought any of those replacement seals, rings, etc. just plan on draining all the old oil out and thoroughly cleaning everything with isopropyl. Then re-grease/lube everything and refill with Rock Oil.
  • ryan93 wrote:
    Does TFTuned replace all of those parts, seems alot of work for a relatively small fee?

Do they all need replacing to begin with, no point in replacing them all for the sake of it.
    I haven't bought any of those replacement seals, rings, etc. just plan on draining all the old oil out and thoroughly cleaning everything with isopropyl. Then re-grease/lube everything and refill with Rock Oil.

I doubt they would be paying retail though.
  • Yeah, those prices have come from TFTuned. The forks are at least 3 years old, I have had them for 10 months and done nothing more than wipe them over and I am pretty sure the previous owner barely even did that.

I am having real trouble setting them up as well as them loosing a lot of response so they could really do with a good going over.
  • ryan93
    True, I looked at buying all the different seal kits and foam rings from Fisher Outdoors and it was coming in at about £25 for the Revelation service kit and £13 for new foam rings and seals.
  • ryan93
    Ah I see, probably best then to replace everything then. Mine aren't that bad, they hold air pressure fine and nothing leaks out so I'm hoping that a clean, re-grease and re-oil will be enough.
  • I wont be doing anything until payday, in the mean time good luck with your self service. :D
  • You guys have some balls doing this by yourself at home. Good luck!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    ryan93 wrote:
    But....there's always the question of "What if something goes wrong?" or in my case my dad hovering round waiting for me to make a mistake and then tell me I should have gave it to the professionals.

If it does, then you send it to the professionals. Just don't damage anything too expensive ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You guys have some balls doing this by yourself at home. Good luck!

definitely going to bottle it and send them to TFTuned. If it was just a lower leg service then I would have a go but seeing as it is much more complicated and the chance of ballsing it up and having to end up paying someone else to fix my mistake is quite high, I will leave it to the experts.
  • HI have a look at this site you maybe pleasantly surprised by the service costs any queries drop me a mail:

http://www.locotuning.co.uk/index.php?id=1
    Suspension servicing, tuning, parts, setup and race support
    Locotuning.co.uk
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    TFTuned are excellent. You will be able to see what they've replaced as they send you all the old bits back in a bag. 2-3 day turn around, if anything is wrong the guy working on your forks will ring you. They do get the parts much cheaper than anyone else can (except maybe Fishers) as the buy so much they bur diectly from rockshox in the states and bypass Fishers completely.

If you don't have the bottle, time or tools to do them yourself i'd whole hearted recommend TFTuned.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • ryan93
    Thanks for the support Matt. Hopefully everything will work out fine and I won't have to take Simon up on his offer, although his prices are rather good for what he does. Looks like if anything goes wrong I might be sending it your way :lol:
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    I've used TF Tuned for getting a rear shock serviced and they're excellent.
    A full service will include all seals and oils, and they return the used ones to you.
    I service my Rock Shox myself - it really is very straight forward - but if you're not confident then I'd recommend booking them into TF Tuned.
  • MarkLG wrote:
    - it really is very straight forward - but if you're not confident then I'd recommend booking them into TF Tuned.

That be fighting talk where I come from, right I will start stripping them down now. :shock: