How demanding is commuting 50 miles per day?

UPGRAYEDD
UPGRAYEDD Posts: 117
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Round trip, total distance (as opposed to each way).

On the pro side, I am fit and healthy and am not new to the world of cycling.

On the con side, I have a (mentally) demanding job, and will often be in work until at least 7 pm.

I would be looking to do it realistically three times per week over undulating terrain (with a few 7 to 10% climbs on the way, each of just under a mile).

Ofc, it's horses for courses, but I'd appreciate any advice from experienced commuters as to how they find it, and what I'd be up against.

From my perspective, it might actually free up the rest of my evenings, as I wouldn't then have to go to the gym!

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
"A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I often do 50 mile (or more) hilly round trips on my commute though usually the outward is no more than 21 miles.

I'm pretty hard on myself in terms of not allowing excuses to wimp out and take a short route back but it can get pretty wearing. And I do find that riding home after a day in the office can be tough - particularly with the headwinds I get.

Also, I built up to this over the last year, gradually extending my commute from the 13 mile round trip it should be to the 50 mile trip it now is!

So probably not easy - I think the mental challenges of the job have an impact on the cycle strength in the evening. Knowing that I can take a short route home, even though I rarely do, is a big help for me. Things will get harder as the light shortens and I will cut the miles a little.

So, good effort if you can make it stick. And you'll do well on SCS next year if you can keep it going!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I've never used a 'bent, but if I had a 25 each-way commute I'd probably try one. On a more normal bike I would suggest a regime of riding in one day and riding home the next.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Hi,
    Usually, when this comes up, the thing people warn about is how much time it will take- 50 miles is likely to be around three hours a day on the bike, more in bad weather, or after a tough day, a night out or with a cold...
    Lets say you sleep about 8 hours and work about 8, too. With general faffing and organising taking another couple, plus cooking & eating, you probably only have four or five hours of your own each weekday. If you're happy to spend most of them on your own on a bike, you're sorted... If you have a family or other interests....
    You probably won't have the inclination to do any weekend riding, if that's important to you, either.

Physically, you can probably adapt, but there's more to it than that.
    Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
    W.
  • FWIW I'd say give it a whirl. It makes my thirty mile round trip look pretty puny. My job is fairly demanding, and I find the psychological boost of having got in under my own steam is great. That and the fact that I can have as many biscuits as a like with my tea! Biggest drawbacks are lack of shower facilities and being rubbish at early starts, which have drastically reduced my strike rate.

More power to you if you can build up a routine.
  • I do a forty mile round trip. I'm not particularly fit, it's a way of getting fit for me. I do it three times a week, and the distance isn't a problem, it's the time. It takes me an hour and fifteen minutes each way, so it's 2 1/2 hours on your day, + faffing/showering, I work ten hour days, have three kids, a list of things to do as long as your arm, and time to do it all is hard to come by ....but it's just so addictive !
  • Thanks for the tips, folks - appreciate the advice being given. On the basis that the commute in question can take more than 2 hours both ways by car (and always takes more than 2 hours by public transport) due to the rubbish congestion that builds up in and around the city, an extra hour on top wouldn't be so terrible really, as I would normally spend that in the gym anyway. I appreciate that a heavy night out/cold etc will slow one down considerably (as well as terrible headwinds), but I wonder whether the biggest hurdle might be a mental one, rather than a physical one.

Only one way to find out really - might give it a trial run tomorrow and take advantage of lighter traffic (and lack of working day breaking up the physical workload), just to see how long it takes and how I fare.
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Hi,
    Usually, when this comes up, the thing people warn about is how much time it will take- 50 miles is likely to be around three hours a day on the bike, more in bad weather, or after a tough day, a night out or with a cold...
    Lets say you sleep about 8 hours and work about 8, too. With general faffing and organising taking another couple, plus cooking & eating, you probably only have four or five hours of your own each weekday. If you're happy to spend most of them on your own on a bike, you're sorted... If you have a family or other interests....
    You probably won't have the inclination to do any weekend riding, if that's important to you, either.

Physically, you can probably adapt, but there's more to it than that.
    Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
    W.

^^ This. I cycle 30miles a day, with 22 of those being an extended return journey. I adapted to it quite quickly, but by the end of the week you definitely feel it in the legs. I like it though. Its always more of a challenge during the winter...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Go for it. I'd rather get my cardio done going to work than after work at the gym or during the weekend.

If you can plan ahead and drive all your clothes in some days, you can travel nice and light
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    on the basis that you have a 4 hour commute round trip by car / PT, then it should free up some time; 50miles shouldn't be much more than 3 hours once you're in the swing of thngs.
  • iPete wrote:
    Go for it. I'd rather get my cardio done going to work than after work at the gym or during the weekend.

If you can plan ahead and drive all your clothes in some days, you can travel nice and light

Exactly!
  • I would say tough but doable (if such a word exists). Remember each time you do it, the next will be slightly easier but do not forget resting and recovery can be an important part of training.

I feel there is a real benefit to physical exercise after a mentally stressful but not physical day at work. You may feel tired at the end but sleep better rather than a fitful sleep with all those stress chemicals knocking around your bloodstream wanting to be burned off.

Much rather cycle than pay money to grind it out at a gym.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I only travel 20 miles round trip over very hilly terrain it is all well and good in good weather but I have to say in winter driving rain after work it isn't so easy. So go for it but have a plan to be able to get home if you are not up to it.

Let us know how you get on.
  • There's always the option of doing a "park and ride" which you might already also have considered; it might take a bit of recce-ing to find parking etc, but it could also give multiple route options for variety e.g. "This week I will mostly be taking the entirely off-road route... next week the 15km time trial"
    Good luck - hope it works out.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • I'd second everyones comments re the amount of time this could take each day. I started a 42 mile (round trip) commute last year and going in and out, plus changing / showers etc does stick quite a bit onto the day. That's certainly one of my limiting factors and prevents me doing it daily.

The other thing I noticed immediately is the amount of calories that need to be consumed during the day to avoid the ride home becoming a real grind...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I used to to a 50 miles round trip and it was hard work, particularly in the winter and I was generally doing Monday Wednesday and Friday and although overweight I could run a half marathon in around 1hr45, so my fitness wasn't bad.

It's a long way, but it's certainly doable.

Mate of mine currently does it 5 days a week from Dorking to central London.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I've been doing between 50 and 70 miles per day three or four days per week since the end of June in preparation for a charity ride at the end of September. It can be quite hard on the "contact points" and demoralising if you're late in either direction. For example, I left the office at 18:45 a couple of wednesdays ago knowing I wouldn't be home until 20:30. In the end it was a pig of a journey into a constant strong wind and on wet roads. I virtually threw the bike into the garage when I got home and it stayed there until the Saturday.

Personally, I'd say much more than 15-18 miles each way (ie an hour or so) is pretty much a tollerable limit for a regular commute when balanced against the time it'll take you.

Bob
  • I do a 50 mile round trip from Skipton to Leeds. It varies from once to three times a week.

I certainly need to ensure I get the calories in during the day as my ride out is fasted and my ride home has occasionaly seen me blow up. All the more embarrasing as I use my TT bike in god weather and being overtaken by a punter on a sit up and beg is quite humilating.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep and be careful not to over do it as I found my weekend runs into the Dales were grim due to my legs being too tired.
    Bring the little ones unto me...and I will fetch a good price for them
  • I've got a 30 mile roundtrip commute per day incl some hills and terrible roads out in west yorkshire.

My top tip - Cook off a huge bowl of pasta salad every couple of days..
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • A65 all the way.

Great training indeed - That said, I think it will be back to the hack once the dark nights come in

Usually a bit tougher on the way home as the wind seems to come down the Wharfe valley and hit me head on.

If you see a fat lad on a Planet X / Cosmiques in a Dave Raynor top, gurning his way up to Addingham roundabout, ready to eat his arm warmers then that'll be me.
    Bring the little ones unto me...and I will fetch a good price for them
  • rolf_f
    beverick wrote:
    Personally, I'd say much more than 15-18 miles each way (ie an hour or so) is pretty much a tollerable limit for a regular commute when balanced against the time it'll take you.

Bob

Plenty of us doing more than that 5 days a week :wink:

You get used to it. Eventually........
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I seem to recall some maniac in the silly commuting stats was aiming for a Sheffield to Leeds commute.

Or did I make that up?
  • d.n.f
    d.n.f Posts: 61
    Rolf F wrote:
    beverick wrote:

Bob

Plenty of us doing more than that 5 days a week :wink:

You get used to it. Eventually........

mine is 23 and a bit each way, ive been doing it for just over a year and 3 times a week still kills me! The Friday grind home is bloody embarrassing sometimes :lol:
  • rolf_f
    jimmypippa wrote:
    I seem to recall some maniac in the silly commuting stats was aiming for a Sheffield to Leeds commute.

Or did I make that up?

Met someone this week doing Halifax - Leeds everyday. That seemed mad but he's actually doing less miles than me :lol:

I do recall something about a Sheffield Leeds commuter. I've done it myself to visit friends. 45 miles or thereabouts. Not the flatest countryside either. I could cope with it sometimes but only on the way home. He might have been disuaded.

I don't feel in a position to comment about lunacy in the SCS table....... :oops:
  • I'm just about to embark on something similar, I hope. It's 43 miles total / 21.5 miles each way - more down than up on the way in, and obviously the opposite on the reverse. I'm thinking of starting doing it twice a week, then maybe 3 times max, but not really sure why I've thought about it now as the evening's have started drawing in. Oh, it would have been nice in June...! :D
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)
  • Very much appreciating the feedback from you all on here - cheers. Anyone yet to contribute with their thoughts, please do wade in!
  • Mine is min 40 miles per day - usually 45 to avoid traffic. Can be 50-60 if taking the scenic route home. It's flat with 5 hilly miles each way.
    I do it every day. I have lots of kit at work, and showers, so don't need to carry much.

Tips:
    1. build up to it. 3x / week allows for rest days, then 4x then 5x
    2. look for a bit of route variety
    3. helps if it takes roughly same time as the car commute (ie no time loss for exercising)
    4. make sure you have at least one spare bike
    5. keep a decent parts / tools kit at work, and know a local bike shop for emergency purchases (tubes, tyres, cables, brake blocks etc)
    6. backup plan: identify public transport, neighbours who drive close to work etc.
    7. keep eating.
    8. decent lights for winter. DealExtreme are fab but take 3 weeks so order soon for the autumn nights drawing in
    9. can get grim in foul weather. It helps if you have no fallback (see (6) above).
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • upgrayedd!
    Whereabouts in the UK are you out of interest!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    My commute is 60km /37.5miles round trip. It takes me an hour each way as opposed to driving which is 25-30mins. I shower when I get to work so basically my morning goes something like... get up, dress, ride, clock-in :wink: , shower, dress, office, breakfast, start work. So I don't actually lose that much 'work' time in a day.

The hardest thing I found when upping my commute from my old job (26km round trip) was that after 300km during the week I was finding it hard going keeping the pace in club runs on the weekend, especially on the first run we did into the mountains...I blew up in spectacular fashion, my blushes saved only by another club mate who was faring even worse on that day. As would be expected though, my strength has improved over the summer and although I didn't think commuting would do much for the stamina required for a day in the mountains, I feel it has helped and my club mates have made lots of positive comments too.

Build it up slowly and listen to your body. Even if you 'only' do it 3 or 4 times a week, your getting a decent amount of training in.