SS Kevlar Pads (Juicy 3) - garbage or idiot?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Last week I fitted SS Kevlar pads on both ends. Since then I've had nothing but bother. I broke them in using the recommended method - until they were sizzling. I also cleaned the rotors (Isopropyl) before breaking in. Out for a ride and thought they felt really nice but after a day both ends were sqeaking and squealing like a pig and gobbling like a Turkey! There's pretty much no chance they're contaminated as I cleaned the rotors first and haven't had any lube etc. near the bike since fitting.

I took both pads out and, with a bit of sandpaper, gently rubbed them down, refitted and went through the break in process again. Same result on both ends - fine for a while but within a day they were squeaking, squealing and gobbling! I've tried different springs, swapped the pads front and rear and made a 3rd attempt at rubbing them down and bedding them in but it's the same story every time!

In the end I stuck in 2 pairs of SS Sintered (using same bedding in process) and they've been fine after several days of riding!

So - have I been unlucky, are the SS Kevlars garbage or have I done something stupid?

Cheers folks

Comments

• jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    Like most cheap pads, they're pretty poor quality.
    I have Formula K18's. I found the SS Kevlar pads to be tricky to fit (they're too thick) the spring supplied is a poor fit for the pad shape and show them some wet and grit (like Afan) and you'll destroy a set in one ride.

In the dry, once bedded in they were ok.. Didn't notice any squeak above what I'd normally expect.

Ended up with some Formula sintered ones and the difference in quality is very clear (so is the difference in price mind you!)

I don't think I'll bother with them again. Will go back to Goodridge ones for general duties and sintered ones for places like Wales!

J
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I have used most manufacturers pads trying to find the best.

Superstar were the best by a mile!

They are cheap, but top quality.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I think it's more the brake, Juicies are noisy, especially in the wet. I've used several different pads in Juicies, none make a difference. And the best pads i've used are Superstar ones
  • mrfmilo wrote:
    I think it's more the brake, Juicies are noisy, especially in the wet. I've used several different pads in Juicies, none make a difference. And the best pads i've used are Superstar ones

Hmmm. No problems with Avid originals, Clarks Organic and SS Sintered so not the brakes.

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    I have :lol: Kevlar pads are softer than Sintered, and the wave pattern on the discs can make the turkey sound IIRC
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I used the Kevlar pads on J7s, they were fine, grippy, lots of modulation, and quiet. They just didn't last as long as I'd hoped.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • My clark jucy 3 pads are noisy too, tend to be worse when they are cold or wet, once they warm up they are fine though, as long as they stop me I don't mind the noise.
  • I have the exact same problem with my Superstar sintered pads on my Avid Codes (as well as the problem of them being too thick).

I'm hoping that it's something that will just stop with a little more time. If not, I'll be going back to Avids own pads which have always been outstanding in the past.