Time for a service?

nstevo
nstevo Posts: 42
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
How often should I get my Trek 7.5 hybrid serviced? I hit 1,000 miles since I bought it in April yesterday. Is it time??

Comments

• The default 'reminder' on my cycle computer suggests that 800miles is a service interval. I've done some fettling with my own commuter(s) to do some annual maintenance such as cleaning, de-greasing, etc but not yet had it back into a shop (apart from the initial free 6 week service).

Not sure if I should be checking more such as brake-pad level yet, I certainly don't think I need hydraulic brakes bled yet.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It depends entirely on what you're doing to keep the bike shipshape. Do you clean it regularly? Have you adjusted things like brakes and gear cables, and tried to fix any odd creaks or ticks? Is the bike lubed and greased everywhere it should be? If so, then it probably doesn't need any kind of service for another few thousand miles. If it feels like it's running smoothly, then odds are it's fine.

Every 800 miles is lunacy, btw. That'd be 6 times a year for someone like me who is a middle distance rider at best.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    When the service light comes on!

There is no mileage & I go for when it breaks generally :lol:. Do the basics yourself, clean and lube the chain, change/adjust the pads and keep it clean-ish during the Winter and you'll be fine.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    biondino wrote:
    Every 800 miles is lunacy, btw. That'd be 6 times a year for someone like me who is a middle distance rider at best.

Every 3 weeks for me at the minute :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......