Cyclist vs. motorist rage in Wrexham 04.09.2010

Wheelie Bin
Wheelie Bin Posts: 162
edited September 2010 in Campaign
I was driving in Wrexham this morning and tried to indicate to a chasing cyclist that I was taking the first (and the smallest) of two very close exits from a roundabout. Rather than just using the car's indicator, I gave my horn a very brief hoot and waved to indicate my intentions.

The result? You guessed it - he overtook me on the inside and shouted "F**k off".

Fortunately he took the same first left turn as me. I caught up and shouted to him (I was in an open top car) to tell him what my intentions had been.... another "F**k off" followed by another.

I was then pretty mad... so much so, that I wanted to knock this ignoramus off his bike - that's all it takes from a motorist's perspective folks!

So if you're the guy that had an altercation with a silver Porsche (was it the car that got you wound up?) here's what I think:

a) I'm wondering, in hindsight, if you had earbuds and some music playing and couldn't hear me - stupid in itself - and illegal
b) if not 'a', you're obviously plain stupid
c) you're the sort of person that gives cyclists a bad name
d) think yourself lucky I was a cyclist and not some random nutter who might well have decided to knock you off.

Now that I've got that off my chest, the serious point, for anyone else that might still be reading, is that (we) cyclists shouldn't think that every time a motorist beeps, it's a sign of aggression.

But I guess this sort of thing has been discussed a thousand times... pity Dick Head of Wrexham hasn't taken any of it on board.
I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    In my experience, a car beeping its horn can mean any of the following:

a) Hello! I'm really excited to be on the road!
    b) Go ahead and do that thing you think I may also be thinking even though that might be exactly the opposite of what you think I think you're thinking.
    c) I'm bored, and I hate my job
    d) I HATE YOU, BECAUSE YOU ARE A CYCLIST, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE ON MY ROAD BECAUSE YOU DON'T PAY ROAD TAX AND YOU LIKE WEARING LYCRA. F%&K YOU!!!!!
    e) Nice bum.

Car horns are not a very reliable way of getting your message across...

Oh, also, is wearing headphones while cycling illegal? Really?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    a) I'm wondering, in hindsight, if you had earbuds and some music playing and couldn't hear me - stupid in itself - and illegal

Since when?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Well, as far as the relationship between other road users and cyclists, maybe the guy's mind was as closed as yours nsb... :?

As for headphones - it's illegal to drive while using an iPod, so I'm assuming the same goes for cyclists... either way, isn't it common sense to be able to hear what's going on around you???

Listen guys, the whole point here is to keep an open mind about attitudes between motorists (of which I'm one) and cyclists (of which I'm also one). Seems to me that as soon as some people get on a bike they get all self righteous and think every bloody motorist has got it in for them (us).

This 'cars vs. motorists' thing is so flipping immature, but it's good one for a bit of a rant eh. :wink:
  • notsoblue
    Well, as far as the relationship between other road users and cyclists, maybe the guy's mind was as closed as yours nsb... :?

Don't get me wrong, I don't always assume motorists are out to get me, but a car horn can mean anything. And more often than not its something negative (especially from a convertible, sorry!). So its not inconceivable that he got the wrong idea.

Of course, the cyclist could have just been a tw@t. :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    To be fair you were in Wrexham, and everyone is an arsehole there
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Wrexham...Scouse "capital" of Wales.

Lovely...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think it's great that you got to mention the brand of the car you drive :lol:
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Splottboy wrote:
    Wrexham...Scouse "capital" of Wales.

Lovely...

Not too many scousers there just plenty of poles, not that I have a problem with either.

I have to say if a car beeped me my first instinct would be to wonder what I did wrong to upset said car driver, 2nd instinct might be do I know the person in the car.

Chap on the bike doesnt sound too nice though given his reponse when you tried to talk to him from your Porsche.
  • Slightly embarrassed that I had to mention driving a Porker... :oops: it's my wife's, honest.
  • Strange must have updated highway code, are horns used as replacement as indicators? One beep meaning left, two beeps right?

Reminds me of Emma Thompson "I've got a Porsche"

although he shoundn't have overtaken you, unless you were 20' or so from give way line?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Strange must have updated highway code, are horns used as replacement as indicators? One beep meaning left, two beeps right?

Very good FJ, but read my post; I WAS indicating - as per Highway flipping Code, but it didn't seem to be enough for this particular idiot to decide he'd try to take me on the inside.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Could have been that the cyclist was slightly frightened and told you to 'f*&k off' becuase he construed the beeping and pointing down side streets from a man in a open top Porsche to be some kind of gay sexual advance. :?
  • No idea why you would beep, I'd almost always take that as hostility, which is probably why you got the response you did. If some ones beeping and pointing away I'd assume they were a tosser telling me to get off the road. Plus, you were driving a Porsche ... :lol::wink:
  • volvicspar wrote:
    No idea why you would beep...

Thought I'd explained that... wasn't that the whole point? :roll:

Anyway chaps that'll do for me - thanks for allowing me to let off steam. Some agree with me, some don't - and some seem to think it's a problem having a nice car... I guess that's the sort of world we live in.

Take care and be tolerant. :wink:
  • notsoblue
    *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Wheelie Bin - I can't help but wonder why you use the word chasing. are all the cars behind you chasing you? Not following?

Hmmm. What is going on in your head might have nothing to do with what happened. I wonder if you had to accelerate hard / brake late in order to swerve left in front of the cyclist who then started chasing you? And you thought any manouvre is perfectly ok if you turn your indicators on after it?

There is a chance you me and idiot on a bike. There is also a chance that a cyclist met an idiot in a porsche.

Serene chaos.
  • volvicspar wrote:
    No idea why you would beep...

Thought I'd explained that... wasn't that the whole point? :roll:

Anyway chaps that'll do for me - thanks for allowing me to let off steam. Some agree with me, some don't - and some seem to think it's a problem having a nice car... I guess that's the sort of world we live in.

Take care and be tolerant. :wink:

You probably won't be back, but... Although you explained your reasons for beeping, it still makes no sense whatsoever. I mean if a motorbike was in the same position, would you beep or just indicate?

Just doesn't make any sense to beep instead of indicating.
  • daftest thread evah
  • notsoblue wrote:

F**k off!!! :D:wink:
  • daftest thread evah

Judging by some of the responses, I'm beginning to agree... :wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

F**k off!!! :D:wink:

lol! :lol:
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
    while stationary on the road
    when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
    except when another road user poses a danger.
    [Law CUR reg 99]

Seems to cover his use of the horn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    batch78 wrote:
    The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
    while stationary on the road
    when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
    except when another road user poses a danger.
    [Law CUR reg 99]

Seems to cover his use of the horn

well I had the horn last night, but none of the above seems to cover what happened..........
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Cyclist thinks you're a knob, you think he's a knob.

Is there anything more to say?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Best advice I ever read on this kind of situation was "if in doubt, middle pedal" (presuming that means brake, as I dont drive)

Wheelie, I suppose all you can do is analyse how you both approached the junction, did you overtake effectively and safely with enough distance well before the junction? Were you crossing any outer cyclelanes marked with dashed lines (where you'd have to establish that its safe to cross the dashed line before doing so, etc)?

However it could just very well be the cyclist was in lala land and not paying proper attention.