the lake district

merlie
merlie Posts: 276
edited September 2010 in MTB rides
anyone know what conditions are like there at the moment ? heading off there shortly ..... just wondered what tyres to kit the bike with .

Comments

• Hi I've just returned from a weeks riding with 10 friends. We were based in Staveley, did both trail centres and alot of natural rides. Its very wet still in places. But then its the lakes.

Where and what type of riding are you planning to do?

All my friends on their hardtails who were running fast rolling XC tyres all changed over to stronger tyres with more grip mainly the Panaracer XC fire pro seemed to do very well.

We encountered all conditions up in the lakes apart from snow and ice. There was bog, grass, a bit of mud, dry gritty rock, wet glassy rock, loose rocks, you name it we rode over it! So tyre choice I think needs to be a very good strong all-rounder!

I'm sure some cumbrian local's will put you right on here :-)

Shaun
  • I was out locally yesterday and it was getting close to being dry. Whinlatter was very wet last weekend, so there'll probably still be a few wet patches despite the last week of sun.
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    I did the Evans Ride It yesterday based around Coniston/Grizedale, most tracks were dry though it was still muddy/wet in shaded areas. All fire roads were bone dry.
  • Was up there last week the north loop at Whinlatter is pretty wet but the south loop is dry. I was using panacer racefire xc or what they are callled and they were perfect :) dnt bother with grizedale its not a touch on Whinlatter!
    Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member62282200556
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    Ended up fast rolling road on the front and muddy tyre on the back .... 1st trip to the lakes - absolutely fantastic scenery ..... need to do more riding up there .... but being 300 miles away dont help !

Did some riding around the Langdale area - nothing too tricky for me ....

.... then when to the dark side the nxt day around the Carnforth area - very pretty .
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    merlie wrote:
    Ended up fast rolling road on the front and muddy tyre on the back .... 1st trip to the lakes - absolutely fantastic scenery ..... need to do more riding up there .... but being 300 miles away dont help !

Did some riding around the Langdale area - nothing too tricky for me ....

.... then when to the dark side the nxt day around the Carnforth area - very pretty .

we was over in lakes on 28th of last month,7 hour round trip for us,as we are from hull,well worth it tho,2nd time we have done it there and back in a day,we have stayed at coniston and torver in the past and made a week of it..we did walna scar road for the 4th time,here is a link of route we did,if you ever get chance to get up there again.... :D

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 2494289576
  • I was up at Coniston/Gryzedale on the Northface trail couple of weeks, ago sun was blazing and the trail was dry, apart from the odd soggy patch, nevertheless, was all good :)
    Specialized rockhopper Pro Disc
  • I went the lakes mid July for 2 days whinlatter the first, grizedale the second. We were initially going to do cragg fell the first day but the weather was just to bad. Sheet horizontal rain, wild winds point blank cloud cover. So we did Whinlatter and got, just simply, drenched. Downhills became rivers. It was AWESOME! The bike was all over the place, Glasses had all fogged up I couldn't see jack shit, but it was the most fun I've ever had on a bike. I was using high rollers 2.35 and they gripped excellently.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?