Dunfermline to Glasgow

Stoo61
Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Seemed the most appropriate part of the forum to place this.

Fairly new to the road and was wondering if anyone had gone from Fife to Glasgow. Used google maps (avoiding highways) to find a route but i'm not the most experienced at knowing what to look out for before I go. Its not far in terms of miles, just looking for some tips.

Also, If I was one day to cycle to Glasgow and then head further West is there any real good websites for cycle friendly hostels out that side?

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Here's one of my routes. It passes fairly close to Dunfermline.

The roads are quite quiet and scenic (not the hilly sort) except for the Stirling - Denny stretch, but I dare say you could find a way around.

I'm no help with the hostels, I'm afraid.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I imagine I would go through Stenhousmuir, out to Denny then past Carron Valley. House the roads after Denny into Glasgow. Need to end up just off Glasgow Green would I need a good knowledge of the city or is it fairly obviously how to get to the main central bits?
  • You have a choice from Denny. Either follow the main road to Kilsyth then Kirkintilloch. From there head into town on A803 via Bishopbriggs and Springburn, then down Saltmarket and you arrive at the Green just before the river. It's pretty straightforward - basically keep heading south.

Or, take the (nicer) minor road along Carron Valley and head over the Crow Rd just before Fintry. Then follow the signs to Glasgow from Lennoxtown via Torrance (or Kirkintilloch) as above. The Carron valley road will be very quiet and hillier; the Kilsyth one much busier and flatter.
  • The Crow Road is fun.

Another, quite different route is to follow this one (in reverse), joining at Torryburn:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 0289350286

Then head into Falkirk, Slamannan, and head down the B803. Take the 'Hulks Road' and Blackbog Road, and head for Glenboig and Gartcosh. Take the Gartloch Road, Stepps Road, Springboig Road and head along Shettleston Road and down the Gallowgate until you reach The Barras - then down Bain Street and cross over the London Road and you get to the Peoples' Palace and Glasgow Green.
    Maybe not as pretty as approaching Glasgow from the north, but interesting!