11 speed campag athena chain advice

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited September 2010 in Workshop
I need to replace my campag chain and have been told to use a KMC instead of a campag as it has the missing link option rather than paying out for the campag tool.

Can anybody give me any advice on how good they KMC are and where I can obtain one for a reasonable ammount

Comments

• PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    they appear to be a fine chain to me, mine's only a lowly 9sp but it feels silky smooth, the missing link is way better than having to use a tool, very easy to take on and off, i couldn't see a 11sp when i just looked at their website ?
  • gwillis
    They are like rockinghorse poo but are around. I was thinking having the link will allow me to get the chain off to clean etc
  • PhilofCas
    I got mine from Chain Reaction, they have a good selection but can't see an 11sp one, i wonder if 10sp would do ??. Having had the none tool split link for a while now (had SRAM one before this KMC one), i wouldn't go back, took chain off yesterday, into a little bowl, good degrease, dry off and back on the bike in 5 mins, brilliant invention :D
  • gwillis
    There isnt many online shops selling them. My only other concern is the length but Im guessing I can match it against my current chain and cut it to length
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    I'd given up looking for these, but it looks like the 11 speed KMC chains have finally been released.

There are two versions, the X11L and X11SL, the latter being slightly lighter as it has hollow pins. Ribble has them at £29 and £45 respectively.

The only thing that puts me off is reports that the 11 speed Missing Link is not reusable, which seems to defeat the point a bit. Until there's some feedback on these chains I think I'll stick with Chorus.
    Alex
  • PhilofCas
    2alexcoo wrote:
    The only thing that puts me off is reports that the 11 speed Missing Link is not reusable, which seems to defeat the point a bit.

they mean they're not re-usable on subsequent chains, new chain = new link
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    KMC chains have a very good reputation, I have used them on my Chorus and Centaur groups. However when they wore out I switched back to Campag chains, they are much smoother and operate better than the KMC one's.
    The Campag. chains were also cheaper than the "top line" KMC's. For the Chorus group I got the chain fitted by my LBS, they don't charge much and I can get them to fit a lot of chains for the cost of the tool.

Campag chains only for me from now on.
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    I'm sure people will debate the chain choice all day long, however I've just fitted a campag 10 speed chain to mine and did not fit their special pin. A replacement pin is £10 and you needed a special tool for the job. Instead I fitted a connex link £6.99 and it can be re-used each time you want to take the chain off and clean it. Not sure if there is one for the 11 speed, can;t see why not.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I use an SRAM Powerlock on my 11SR set-up with no problems at all.
  • Chrissz wrote:
    I use an SRAM Powerlock on my 11SR set-up with no problems at all.

me too and it's working a treat :)
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I have just had the chain replaced on my centaur groupset, got fitted a campag chain with a missing link. Works ok, I have on another bike a KMC link fitted and it is great for cleaning and keeping it in good condition. Go for it.
  • gwillis
    ive searched all over for a kmc 11 speed link and cant find one anywhere, I might opt for the sram instead thanks guys
  • Why don't manufacturers just tell us what width of chain we have on our bikes?
  • According to an email I had from the UK distributor of KMC the 11 speed links will be avaliable during September.

I fitted an X11SL chain bought from Ribble and it shifted perfectly on my first outing last Saturday. Should've waited til the cheaper X11 was available though.
  • gwillis
    Im just about to buy the 11s once get my index problem resolved thats sending me round the bend :evil: