What cheap road bike for commuting?

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Trying to find a cheap road bike to commute to work on.
Have been looking at the btwin sport one http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-1-54-57-69567468/ but doesn't seem to be in stock so would need to mess about with ordering in, etc.
Does anyone know if this in an okay bike, or can you suggest a better one in a similar price range. Alternatively do I need to spend a few hundred more and buying this cheaply is a false economy?

Thanks.
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I think others here have the Sport 1, and it seems to do them OK. Not particularly light or hard wearing, but if you're comfortable doing a bit of day to day maintenance, then you should be fine.

Have you looked at the Halfords Carrera range? The Tour de Francein Medium comes in at £255 with their current deal, and is an excellent bike for the price.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Thanks,

I had noticed the Sport 1 was a little heavy (most of the decathlon ones seemed to be about the same weight), but thought going more expensive and saving a couple of kgs wouldn't matter too much for me. Interesting that the TDF appears to be the same weight (10.9kgs.)

crud, it appears that it isn't available anywhere.. The "Carrera Virtuoso Medium Road Bike" is still available but would I be able to get a better bike for £350?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Go secondhand - you'll get a good 6 - 12 months old Specialized Allez (or similar) for £350
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Thanks,

I had noticed the Sport 1 was a little heavy (most of the decathlon ones seemed to be about the same weight), but thought going more expensive and saving a couple of kgs wouldn't matter too much for me. Interesting that the TDF appears to be the same weight (10.9kgs.)

crud, it appears that it isn't available anywhere.. The "Carrera Virtuoso Medium Road Bike" is still available but would I be able to get a better bike for £350?

It might be worth looking for an Edinburgh Bicycle Continental- they are listed as reduced to £320 and sensibly specced.
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to published weights- a few hundred grammes here or there looks good on paper but may not accurately reflect what you roll out of the shop (ie a frame that fits, pedals etc).

Cheers,
    W.
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Thanks,

Personally, I would prefer the Sport 1 over the TDF because it has more gears and a springier front fork.
  • I ride a virtuosso and for the cash its a great bike, you even get mounting points for a rack and mudguards which are handy for all year commuting.

I cannot say anything bad about the bike except the tyres are something i would replace at some point, i use continental gator skins.

In fact the cycling plus review made me buy one..

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-09-34691

Also less gears means less wear on the chain , i have read that chain wear is faster on higher count gearing and of course the replacement parts are liable to cost more.

If the bike has the range of gears you can comfortably use for the purpose you need the bike for then any more is false economy.before we get into the single speed debate i carry to much stuff on a hilly route to make one usable for me ;)
    FCN 3/5/9