Steel Frame help

slow turner
slow turner Posts: 58
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
I want to be a bit different and build up a steel race bike, but i havent got a clue about steel frames and were to start, can you help me and point me in the right direction. money wise i dont have a clue but -£500 is about what i am prepared to pay. Ive been ebaying but i dont know where to start and been on google but i dont know were to start either...

Thank you for your help

Arran
Carpe Diem

Comments

• I like steel, my tourer is Reynolds 520 butted steel. Nice and comfy. I know Condor have a steel bike or two.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Genesis Equilibrium ( V nice bike ) but alot more than you want to spend.
  • garzar wrote:
    Genesis Equilibrium ( V nice bike ) but alot more than you want to spend.

Thats really nice, i meant about 500 for just a frame so this is there abouts ideal,

I wanted to builded something up with 105 anyway
    Thank you very much

Arran
    Carpe Diem
  • Is there any problems with steel frames as appose to anything else?

Thank you very much

Arran Turner
    Carpe Diem

They rust......
  • garzar wrote:
    Genesis Equilibrium ( V nice bike ) but alot more than you want to spend.

Thats really nice, i meant about 500 for just a frame so this is there abouts ideal,

I wanted to builded something up with 105 anyway
    Thank you very much

Arran

Wait for the 2011 model Equilibriums as they have a big spec increase in steel 725 instead of plain 520. I think most of the 2010 models sold out months ago as they were so successful.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4

Thank you very much

Arran Turner

No real problems. Possibly a bit heavier, need more care against rust and corrosion. But on the plus side, many think they handle great and are fairly tough. My old steel was sublime at handling corners compared to my Alu framed bikes.

If you're worried about rust, look on ebay and see how many old steel framed bikes are still going after 30 years! Will there be many carbon bikes lasting that long?

Also remember that it's not hi-tensile steel we are talking about but chr-moly and that doesn't rust the same way.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    stainless steel won't rust ....
  • The genisis is really nice and im tempted as it seem to be what i am looking for all in one, but what other steel bikes are out there for similar prices, just so i can get a pespective on steel bikes

Thank you

Arran
    Carpe Diem
  • No problems, except for dinged paint/rust patches. But a bit of touch up paint and that's sorted. BB was a bit seized but that happens with alu and carbon too.
  • stainless steel won't rust ....

It's shite, however, compared to traditional steel alloys used for frames.

My comment was there to highlight the ONLY disadvantage in steel (IMHO) compared to other materials.
    My oldest bike is 58 years old - and I regularly ride a 36 year old Flying Scot.
  • The genisis is really nice and im tempted as it seem to be what i am looking for all in one, but what other steel bikes are out there for similar prices, just so i can get a pespective on steel bikes

Thank you

Arran

Bob Jackson will sell you a 631 frame & fork for about £400 or so. Another option is the Condor Fratello, although it may be slightly over budget.
    Alex
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you look on LFGSS or Retrobike - you're more likely to find a decent frame, honest seller and more reasonable price than e-bay. From £300 you can easily pick-up a quality 1990s frame from a recognised builder rather than a something tig-welded in Taiwan. It will probably have some lovely chrome to polish too! Prices for some new steel frames appear to have got a bit silly as they're retro and trendy.
    In response to the comment regarding stainless steel - there's Reynold 953 or Columbus XCR - but way above your price-point.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 2alexcoo wrote:
    The genisis is really nice and im tempted as it seem to be what i am looking for all in one, but what other steel bikes are out there for similar prices, just so i can get a pespective on steel bikes

Thank you

Arran

Bob Jackson will sell you a 631 frame & fork for about £400 or so.
    Another option is the Condor Fratello, although it may be slightly over budget.

Good thing about this choice is that is can be built made-to-measure for you and however you want it - i.e. sloping top tube, lugless or lugged, oversize tubes etc
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    2alexcoo wrote:

Bob Jackson will sell you a 631 frame & fork for about £400 or so.
    Another option is the Condor Fratello, although it may be slightly over budget.

Good thing about this choice is that is can be built made-to-measure for you and however you want it - i.e. sloping top tube, lugless or lugged, oversize tubes etc

Though that increases the frame price to £600 and a 6 month waiting list.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Steel is a great frame material, I've got a 17 year old 653 which I've used to race, do winter training and everything in between. It's had a few knocks and crashes and has spent most of it's life in a shed and even left outside. It's had one respray (a benefit of steel as you can have what looks like a new bike for relatively little cost) but there isn't a patch of rust on it. It is heavier than my new carbon bike but I suspect modern steel frames are also lighter than 653. Gives a great balance of weight, stifness and comfort plus if you ever want a full custom frame it is the easiest choice. I think they also look great although my own frame is a bit too large to be aesthetically pleasing (and a bit too purple thanks to a mid 90's respray :oops: ).
  • Wouldn't mind getting mine resprayed, local garage do that sort of thing? Approx cost? Also what about quality, brother had his resprayed and far lower quality paint than factory applied stuff, started to chip after a year or so.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Have a look at the work of Brian Rourke or Enigma.

I own a 25 yr old 753 Raleigh, no rust problems. It has been pampered though.
  • In response to the comment regarding stainless steel - there's Reynold 953 or Columbus XCR - but way above your price-point

Way above. Moreover, repairs involving brazing are difficult as the material has to be 'aged' to retain strength.

Bog standard stainless is shite, as previously stated.
  • Thank you for all your comments people much appreciated, and thanks for helping making my mind up that steel is the way

Arran
    Carpe Diem