Promax V Brake Plastic Spacer issue.

richardstan
richardstan Posts: 8
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
The plastic spacer that acts as a spring on my promax v brakes has sliced itself down the middle and into bits, so there is no spring back when the brakes are released.

I've got two questions:

What is this part called so that I can get a replacement? There seems to be very little written about them.

How do I fix it back onto the brake system once i get a part. Boths ends of the brake cable are terminated with parts that are larger than the diameter of the spacer's holes.

Thanks

Richard.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never seen a spacer tensioning brakes. Got a pic? Should have springs behind the arms.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You won't be able to get the parts easily if at all, it's a common fault with those brakes, seen plenty of them come in for repair @ the shop.

Time for an upgrade to something like Avid or Shimano V brakes.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Which of avid or shimano would you go for?
    Ill probably get them depending on cost, durability and how easy they are to maintain.

Richard.
  • Im not going to be doing any jumps or backflips so they dont need to be super strong, just enough for commuting and occasional off road.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    These: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34700 will do the job nicely and are good value
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :lol:
    If you were doing backflips then you wouldn't need very powerful brakes, since your wheels aren't on the ground :wink:
  • yeehaamcgee what about the landing?

Do I need to purchase the brake cable (i.e. metal bend and plastic spacer attached to it) separately to get these brakes to work?

I really have an issue with the crap plastic part that was used on the promax brakes. Could this be solved be getting a new cable and not a whole new braking system?
  • Anonymous
    You don't generally need brakes when landing either. Jumping is not one of the high-speed aspects of mountain biking where brakes are pushed to their limits.

I would highly recommend Avid V-brakes as a large step up from Promax.
  • so you'd do a whole downhill track with no brakes?
  • Anonymous
    What? NO!
    But I generally wouldn't do backflips on a DH track either.
    I think either you're trying a wind-up, or you're getting your MTBing disciplines mixed up.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Avid. Replace the callipers and levers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools