What Bike Can I Get For £350

davejjt
davejjt Posts: 8
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
After thinking £150 would get me a good bike I have upped the budget to £350 , what are the best bikes I can get?.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You should be in the Buying Advice forum really, but anyway here is a starter.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12640231

Remember for your £350 you might need other stuff as well - helmet, pump, lock, tools etc.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Seriously consider the Decathlon Rockrider 5.3, comes in at £300 and out specs the Halfords Carrera Vulcans that cost more.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    +1 for the vulcan, good frame u can build on as and when u want or need to.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Kraken or that Decathlon, Vulcan for a bit less.

Great bikes.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    I'd consider a second hand bargain. Check your local bike shop and see if they have anything in...mine gets the occassional gem.
  • RED_
    RED_ Posts: 51
    The secondhand market as Stu said can be great if you're lucky.

Back in 08 I managed to get an 08 GT avalanche 1 that was 2 months old for £350, it was too big for the original owner. Thanks very much! I wouldn't have been able to afford it at full price, and am still really happy with it and no upgrades needed so far.
  • I think that second hand is a good idea. Some bike shops sell second hand ones.
  • sdas777
    sdas777 Posts: 29
    you can often find bikes ridden very little for a great price, not in you range but friend of mine managed a £1600 spesh pitch pro for £1100, so just have a look around for a £500-600 possibly? or just wait till winter for '10 deals :)
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT
    Giant Defy
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    If you have anywhere that hires out mtbs ask them about when they will sell on the ex-hire ones as the new bikes come in for next season.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • gezzs
    gezzs Posts: 16
    Daz555 wrote:
    You should be in the Buying Advice forum really, but anyway here is a starter.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12640231

Remember for your £350 you might need other stuff as well - helmet, pump, lock, tools etc.

This is a valid point I found out the hard way... My budget was £300-£350. Bike cost me £370, then I've spent another £100ish on grips, bar ends, helmet, lock.... still need toolkit, inner tubes, etc etc.

Still grinning though :lol:
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I got a GT Avalanche 1.0 for £250 last year second hand. Odd scratch her and there but other wise perfect, the RRP was over £600 I belive.

For the money your looking to spend I'd go second hand, but only if you have someone who can assist.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Take a look at some shops that sell off their ex-demo and ex-hire bikes, these can be a steal and they normally come fully serviced.

Sometimes you can get 50% off the list price which means a decent bike for £350.
    Craig Rogers