€3m to buy Cancellera out of his contract

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Will Andy Rihs spend the money?

:wink:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    That's priced him out of a move then, why spend that when you can wait a year and get him for just the cost of his wages?
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    That's priced him out of a move then, why spend that when you can wait a year and get him for just the cost of his wages?

I guess you need a number, and if Sky and BMC want him, you may as well put a big one out there.

Surprised Sky would consider touching him though.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Why - has he something 'unusual' in his past?
    M.Rushton
  • He's been 'rested' a couple of times hasn't he?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    Will Andy Rihs spend the money?

:wink:
    Brailsford is quoted as interested I read in cyclingnews
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I think the 3m buy-out could be negotiated down a bit. I suspect the current wage bill for Saxo in 2011 may be a little higher than Riis can afford.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Small change to Rihs, surely?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    bipedal wrote:
    Small change to Rihs, surely?

Or Bob Stapleton, even. He's an HTC type of rider and they don't really have a classics man other than Eisel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    3 million for a PROVEN winner is worth it to a team like Sky. Would keep their profile high, make the public happy (and the sponsor of course!).

How much did they spend on Wiggins again? At least with Canc you are going to get some wins.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Pokerface wrote:
    3 million for a PROVEN winner is worth it to a team like Sky. Would keep their profile high, make the public happy (and the sponsor of course!).

How much did they spend on Wiggins again? At least with Canc you are going to get some wins.

DB had better read the small print if he's buying Canc

"Batteries not included"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Pokerface wrote:

+1.

But would you then mold the team around him? You're only looking at classic wins and stages not an overall TDF which Sky's goal.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

+1.

But would you then mold the team around him? You're only looking at classic wins and stages not an overall TDF which Sky's goal.

He's quite a handy domestique, and is happy to do so within reason.
  • Snap him up, it isnt like some of the riders on Skys roster this season havent been dragged into controversy of some sort on another about their past.

Michael Barry, for example.
  • What controvesy?
    Are we talking PEDs or the ridiculous battery thing?

Compared to the reported £2m Sky paid for Wiggins, Canc looks like a bargain.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    3m Euro to buy a proven RACE winner is a real no-brainer.

Maybe Sky should concentrate on the classics a bit more next season instead of going for a grand tour victory :?:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I'd have thought if Sky have the budget he would be a good buy. I'm not aware of anything dubious in his past? He gives you some Classics wins, possibly a Worlds and a good few days in yellow at the Tour. Most importantly you get guaranteed UCI points. Sky already have what could be a very good Classics squad and he would be the icing on the cake. Depends if Sky are prepared to re-focus for a few years until the genuine British GC contender becomes obvious.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Pross wrote:
    I'd have thought if Sky have the budget he would be a good buy. I'm not aware of anything dubious in his past? He gives you some Classics wins, possibly a Worlds and a good few days in yellow at the Tour. Most importantly you get guaranteed UCI points. Sky already have what could be a very good Classics squad and he would be the icing on the cake. Depends if Sky are prepared to re-focus for a few years until the genuine British GC contender becomes obvious.

I agree.

I would much prefer them to look at the classics for the next year or 2 until they have a real chance of a grand tour win.

I hate to say this but this year did make Wiggins look like a one trick pony.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I'm guessing the past which the posters are referring to is that Cancellara was coached by Cecchini.

If I was Sky, I would probably stay clear of Cancellara, on the grounds that its a lot of money to spend on something which doesn't especially help the overall aim of the project (the British Tour winner).

Of course Sky may well have realised that the aim is not especially realistic...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    How many of the non-British riders currently at Sky help with that project though? Possibly Lovkvist as a super domestique if the elusive British GC contender becomes available, Gerrans?, Augustyn? Pauwels?. I can't see the likes of Flecha, EBH, Henderson or Sutton helping with the aim other any more than Canc but they help ensure that the team pick up the points required to get invited to the GCs in the first place. Without those invites they could have Britains answer to Bertie but it wouldn't be any use so Canc would help ensure they don't end up in that position. In addition, GC contenders need those strong roulers to make sure they don't lose time on the flat stages or in cross winds and again although Sky have a team full of decent riders for those conditions none is as strong as Cancellara.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I thought that is why they took Boasson-Hagen. ie to mold him into a Classic winner. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    NWLondoner wrote:

I hate to say this but this year did make Wiggins look like a one trick pony.
    I never thought otherwise after last years stroll around France.
    When he said (on a 2009 mountain) that people will now have to think of him as a Roadie and not just as a Trackie.
    I said very true with his palmares but there is a long way yet to go and this easy TDF is not a measure.
    He carried on and got a 4th and this year I had him for a top 10 finish which he sadly couldn't produce but he has climbed his learning curve quite a way this year.
    I look forward to him using that with a much better performance next year. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • iainf72
    Riis has been saying that perhaps Saxo won't win any classics next year, but do some different things with the way the team is formed.

Is he hinting that Chinny is offski?