south downs -brighton area

drrastapopulus
drrastapopulus Posts: 75
edited March 2011 in MTB rides
Hi, i was wondering if there were any group rides or any people who know where to go/what to ride on the downs around Brighton.

cheers, Nick
DMR Sidekick
BeOne Spirit 09
Diamondback Pacer 500
Identiti p45....frame
FCN - 7
Ride to Milan...DONE
Ride to Barcelona...ASAP

Comments

• gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Nick,

You might want to check out -Sussex Muddyarse MTB club as they do rides in and around the South Downs.

Greg.
  • ah sweet, will give that a look.

thanks
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • Stanmer park is a good place to spend a few hours, just watch out for dog owners who let their un-muzzled dogs off the lead in a public place (really annoys me).

Also a bit further afield is the shoreham/adur loop

The downs are a fun place to go tho.
    Why oh why do onions make you cry?
  • matt-
    matt- Posts: 120
    Hi Nick

Did you manage to find anywhere decent? I live in central Brighton and I'm looking for some decent rides in the surrounding areas,

cheers,
    Matt
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • I've been out with brightonmtb.org a few times - a good crowd and they know where the fun riding is!
  • chiefgrooveguru - do brightonmtb have a regular ride or is it just a sort of ad hoc arrangement? would like to get involved...

matt - i went for a nice ride out towards newhaven which was alright, not that technical though some good views to be had, fairly new to the area so don't really know the good rides, lets see what the 'guru' advises!

thanks, Nick
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • matt-
    i've emailed brightonmtb.org and they have reccomended evening rides on tuesday and thursday... the faster ride is on a tuesday and they have more breaks on the slower thursday ride. they are both in the evening and begin at 7pm... unfortunately i play football on thursdays although i'm going to try and give one week a miss so i can go to at least one thursday ride.

i have no lights either which might suck!
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • There's usually a Tuesday evening quick ride over the Downs and a Thursday evening slower techy singletrack ride in the woods, plus fortnightly weekend rides further afield. They normally send emails out to confirm the Tuesday rides but I think Thursdays are always on. Drop them an email through the website to go on the mailing list. Might see you there!

P.S. Aren't you a Tintin villain?
  • yeah, i also dont have a great set of lights, thought its staying light pretty late now, might be alright. i think i will give the thursday ride a go

and, well observed, though the character is not actually a doctor he is a villainous film director, one for the pub quiz
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • next thursday that is, though im conveniently at sussex uni also playing football from 5-6 on thursdays so that could work pretty well
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • matt-
    i'm going to try and make it next week although my kick off is a varied time (pitch invasion) - i'll just try and drop out

do you have any idea how to cycle up to sussex uni without going on the bypass?

im hoping lights wont be needed, might grab some cheapo ones just for this
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • you can just go along lewes road, im a student there so have done that journey a lot! dont know if there are any prettier, alternative routes but its def the quickest.

could meet up an cycle down together if you want?
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • Should be ok without lights as we're getting close to mid-summer:

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/brighton.html

I've done one nightride with them using a borrowed Exposure MaXx-D but have just bought a Fenix LD20 to use instead. In the woods you never get up to serious speed but it's so bendy that a bar-mounted light is often pointing the wrong way! Hopefully a narrower spot light on my head will prove just as effective at a fraction of the cost but for the next two months I shouldn't need anything.

I've just found a small quasi-pump track if that's of interest - am trying to get the hang of rad air before I get too old and scared...
  • matt-
    drrastapopulus
    yea that sounds cool - just got to make sure i can do this thursday, i'll let you know...

chiefgrooveguru
    where abouts is the pump track? :)
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • i am no longer free for this thursday (27th) at stanmer park, i have got a gig to go to. tho i will be there in spirit and hopefully person next week!
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • matt-
    i cant make this week or next... its the last two weeks of my 5 a side season then our team is folding. so going forward i can make every thursday, just not the next 2 weeks :(
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • I went out on my own on Tuesday and the trails were running FAST! Will be out with the posse next Thursday, may see you there Dr R.
  • Did either of you go out on Thursday? I missed the main group but ended up finding a fast moving sub-group who were taking corners at lunatic speeds as I watched their dust cloud disappear!
  • matt-
    nah i didnt have a chance to go out, waiting for my football league to finish :(

first time i'll go out will be on the 24th i think, need to get my bike services and pick up a few bits as its only ever been on the road, but then i'll be there regularly!
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • i also went for a couple of rides around stanmer park/ditchling beacon, riding very fast indeed, got a slow puncture AND snapped my chain on the way home though! i think i will be there this thursday 17th, hopefully work will leave me in peace! what time are you planning on getting there for Guru?
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • cant now come this week, snapped chain and need to fit a new fork! happy days! hopefully see you guys soon tho
    DMR Sidekick
    BeOne Spirit 09
    Diamondback Pacer 500
    Identiti p45....frame
    FCN - 7
    Ride to Milan...DONE
    Ride to Barcelona...ASAP
  • matt-
    your forks broken or just upgrading?
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • matt-
    did you guys ever go out on the brightonmtb rides?

ive been away for a bit but went out on a 15 mile ride yesterday up towards ditching beacon and need to get some other rides sort out asap :)

matt
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    Yeah Im thinking I need some kind of group to provide more motivation now that the less pleasant weather is coming lol :)

Im in the Shoreham area so I guess I should look at the groups/clubs already mentioned!
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Read good things about BrightonMTB, just not sure I'd ever be able to keep up as I am one of these overweight Specialized riders now :D

Nice to see there's a fair few folks in the area though, might have to try hooking up with folks if they're bored at some point though I do prefer pointing the bike down than up (though I suck at both).

Also need some sort of P7 death laser for the front as the nights start to draw in.
  • phal44
    Yeah I need some lights too :)
  • matt-
    awesome - maybe we should get together and go for a ride some time?

my front wheel is buckled and i need to get a couple of new tyres but i should be back in action in no time!

and im in need of a p7 too :)
    spesh rockhopper sl comp
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Sounds like a plan to me as long as you don't mind the fact that I'm a 4-5mph uphill spinning rider rather than a svelt racing type.
  • phal44
    I think most people are 4-5mph uphill types lol :) specially with some of the hills :/
  • matt-
    have you guys ever ridden the singletrack at stamner park or wild park? just checked out some videos on youtube and it looks pretty cool, but i've got no idea where abouts in the parks they are
    spesh rockhopper sl comp