Boardman Team HT???

patto583
patto583 Posts: 27
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
HI everyone, I'm looking to get back into mountain biking after quite a few years off and I'm looking at getting a quite pricey bike through my works cycle to work scheme, which ties me into Halfords. I am looking at the Boardman Team HT and just want to see what more experienced people think. I have seen a lot of mentions of the Boardman comp, but nothing of the team, I just want to make sure that the extra £150 is worth the spend.

I am not overly worried about the set up as i used to do all my own maintenance in the old days so should be able to sort out any problems, or at least spot them! Although if anyone knows of any stores that are particularly good out of the Blackpool, Preston, Barrow-in-Furness, Lancaster, Kendal (I drive past all of these once or twice a month anyway!)

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    For what it's worth, I've got an 08 HT pro and love it. I think the gap between the Pro and Team is smaller than the gap between the Team and Comp. I'd say the Team was worth the extra £150, not sure the step up to the Pro is quite so obvious.

It's a good bike, well specced, nice light frame. You'll struggle to get anything better for the money through the scheme.

Also, you'll probably 'only' be paying an extra £80-£100, not £150, because of the scheme savings.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • patto583
    Theres a nice Evans Cycles in Kendal iirc... very helpful staff.

Not much around blackpool, I always head to formby cycles.

Could go to Merlin Cycles... have a look at the rocklobster builds, they're fantastic bikes and Merlin great customer service!
  • Cheers guys, I'm kind of tied to Halfords with the cycle to work scheme though, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of their stores anywhere in the area as they seem to be a bit hit and miss!! I should be ok anyway though, like I say, I used to do all my own maintenance and I am pretty mechanically minded!!!!
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    I've just got a Comp and i love it :D

Go to a Halfords in the week not week ends you get a bloke on the bike stand who knows a bit !
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • I have to wait for the scheme to open again, it is supposed to be at the end of the month, so hopefully if I go during the day the part time university types won't be there either!!!
  • bondo
    bondo Posts: 79
    the diffence between pro and team is well worth the £150.

x.o rear mech
    x.9 front
    x.9 shifter
    all jagwire cable
    carbon brake levers
    better chainset
    annd lighter wheels
    and tougher frame

well worth it
  • i was tied in with Halfords aswell through my works cycle to work scheme. However, it is still possible for them to source another bike for you. I organised it all over the phone, just picking up my bike from my local Halfords. I might still have the phone number if it helps. Anyway, the Boardmans are good bikes!
    If im ignorant, that's the first I've heard of it!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bondo wrote:
    the diffence between pro and team is well worth the £150.

x.o rear mech
    x.9 front
    x.9 shifter
    all jagwire cable
    carbon brake levers
    better chainset
    annd lighter wheels
    and tougher frame

well worth it

But the difference in performance will be relatively small. From what I've heard, X0 is identical in performance to X9, it's just a few grams lighter. Same with the chainset, defining 'better' is tricky.

Saying that, personally I'd get the Pro (again).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • If you fancied something different, Leisure Lakes take Halfords Cycle2Work vouchers.I think there are a couple of stores in the NW area (Preston?).
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • I am in the same boat at the moment, choosing between a Boardman Pro and Trek 6300

You can phone Halfords C2W lne and they can source other bikes for you. Alternitavely, you can visit On Your Bike, Bradford St, Birmingham. They accept the Halfords Vouchers.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
    Specialized Carve Pro 2013
    Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 2014
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    If you fancied something different, Leisure Lakes take Halfords Cycle2Work vouchers.I think there are a couple of stores in the NW area (Preston?).

Leisure Lakes are in Lancaster, just over the road from KFC :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • +1 for the boardman team
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Ive got a Team thats been subtley pimped (see signature)

Well worth the 150 over the comp, the fork is awesome for a start.

Just buy it, you wont be dissapointed. Still going stronge after a year and a half. Get someone better than Halfords to build it for you would be my advice.
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    Ive had my boardman pro for 8 weeks and love it, its light fast agile and well worth the money, tyres are shit though so change them :D
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro