Rigid forks on MTB

sheffsimon
sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm building up a bike to ride some cycloX in the winter. Picked up a Giant Avalanche ally frame for a fiver off ebay, now need some forks.It used to have sus forks but I will fit rigid.

Have seen some Kona P2 forks on ebay for next to nowt, would these be any good or too short, been readin stuff about suspension corrected forks, and I need about 430mm fork blades??

Anything else I need to know? Please help a roadie :)

Comments

• On-one should do them in the size you need, cromo or carbon. Not sure what sizes the P2 come in.
  • sheffsimon
    On-one should do them in the size you need, cromo or carbon. Not sure what sizes the P2 come in.

Yeah, plus Planet X showroom is in Sheff, just like me. They are my new option, but was looking for s/h cheapies.
  • Ah I just browsed through your post and I remember looking a while back and even 2nd hand P2s weren't going that cheap.

Handsome Dog were doing some a while back for £30. Don't know what they're like, but for £30.. It's a shame there aren't more budget rigid forks out there.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    On-one are doing rigid forks for £40.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    are the kona p2 dirt jump forks? if so they might be a bit stiff and heavy and maybe too short.

Try Carbon cycles forks, if on a budget I think they do a alloy version for cheaper? else fro lighter weight and possibly more damping go for the carbon ones, they are very nice for the money.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&
  • jairaj
    no sorry ignore me I think the P2 are normal MTB forks. If the length is correct then they should be fine although maybe not the lightest.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The P2's come in a few different lengths. I fitted some on my mtb when I was commuting on it. Fairly stiff, track well.

re weight: the lightest (triple butted) are apparently 795g, however I bought some and they were 200g more, even though the packaging stated 795g (Paligap said they would amend this).

Salso Cromoto or something from Tange, or Surly.
  • sheffsimon
    Thanks for all the info.

Looked at the carboncycles ones, in ally, very nice, £63 delivered.

On-one are 40 for the fork then another 15 for the canti bosses, which I want, plus they arent as long as the carboncycles ones.

Ebay is first choice, bidding for some long version P2's at the minute. If that gets too near £50 I will buy the carboncycles. In fact the carbon version of these is not too much more than the ally version....mmmmm
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Aluminium forks would be the worst option imho - you'll feel every ripple in the road through the bars and your teeth will work loose
  • jairaj
    From my reading around, the best forks tend to be made out from Steel or Carbon fibre.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I can recommend the Exotic carbons, they're a wee bit more expensive but they're still a bargain and they work very well. I stick them in the Soul occasionally for a bit of variety, ace for simpler XC and even pretty capable for harder stuff.
    Uncompromising extremist