SLX chainset movement

clwydian_rider92
clwydian_rider92 Posts: 416
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, my SLX chainset is just over a year old and i'm experiencing some movement with it. Just wondering what is causing this movement. Is it the bearings etc.

And if so what tools do i require to carry out the service.

Thanks for your time
Giant XTC SE 2006
Cube LTD Race 2009
Trek Fuel EX 9

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I assume you mean side to side movement, as opposed to the normal circular motion you would expect from them :wink:

Remove the cranks, it could just be that the bearing preload cap is loose or something. More likely the bearings are knackered. Once the cranks are off, spin the bearings with your fingers, if they feel gritty and bumpy, your BB needs replacing. A year is respectable enough for a shimano BB.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Sorry to jump on this this thread but how do you change a BB on a hollowtech?

Does it come apart and you can replace the middle section?

Sorry for the simple question, I have a very old deore with a BB obviously but am going to but an XT next week and know they are hollowtechs so am interested in what you are saying about the BB
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Lj - read the FAQs.

You will most probably need and is recommended by many that you get your frame faced first - this is for you most prob a LBS job - £20ish quid.

clwydian_rider92

As dirt says your bearings may be shot - but first take them off give them a good wipe around the arm 'races' and BB and install them again to the correct preload to see if that helps - if not it's new BB time.
  • Lj - read the FAQs.

You will most probably need and is recommended by many that you get your frame faced first - this is for you most prob a LBS job - £20ish quid.

Will do, Cheers
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • ilovedirt
    LjStronge wrote:
    Sorry to jump on this this thread but how do you change a BB on a hollowtech?

Does it come apart and you can replace the middle section?

Sorry for the simple question, I have a very old deore with a BB obviously but am going to but an XT next week and know they are hollowtechs so am interested in what you are saying about the BB
    Aye, read the FAQ's about replacing them.
    It's probably a good idea to just change the BB, but you can buy a tool for removing the bearings and popping the new ones in on the shimano HTII BBs, but it's about £50.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, has the preload tool, and cup tool.

It may just need more preload, try that as well. Undopinch bolts, add preload like a headset, do up pinch bolts.
  • ye i thought it would do the job and your buying 2 tools in 1. Seems a good buy eventhough it wont be as good as quality as Shimano or Park tools but for £10 can't go wrong.

Thanks
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • ilovedirt
    Unless you work in a bike shop, you don't really need the best quality tools, as you'll only use them a few times, that'll do the job fine.
    As super says, try undoing the pinch bolts, tighten preload cap, do up pinch bolts. That may be it. Worth checking your bearings as well while you're at it though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ye i thought it would do the job and your buying 2 tools in 1. Seems a good buy eventhough it wont be as good as quality as Shimano or Park tools but for £10 can't go wrong.

Thanks

Did you manage to fix the problem or was it a worn out BB?
    I had my sig deleted and all I got was this snide replacement. Not happy. :(