Leaking mavic ust rims

cw42
cw42 Posts: 205
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought some new maxxis ignitor ust Tyres and fitted th to my mavic ust rims. I'd previosly been using non ust Tyres and innertubes as the price of ust tyres was expensive.
So, fitted them this morning and was dissapointed that the wheels were leaking!
Around the valve and around one spoke on both front and rear wheel. I've taken them apart and checked around the valves, which is where the air is escaping, and the seal is not as good as it could be. The wheels are about 8 years old but don't have any obvious signs of exta holes!
I've tried a bit of innertube to better seal the valve but that hasn't worked, do you have any more tricks I could try to seal the air in?
Thanks
live long, eat biscuit

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    New V/V's? Sounds like they may be slightly perished?
    Also, try some latex sealant ( I use Stans) as it will help reduce any punctures, and helps to seal small leaks...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • cw42
    Cheers ratty. Brand new valves as I'd lost my old ones. Not put any sealant in yet, will have another go tues eve.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    deffo use sealant, it will most likely solve the problems.
  • cw42
    Got a small bottle of joes when I got the tyres and valves. Put a bit in at first and was hoping that it would seal the valve and leaking spoke hole, but I don't think I put enough in. Will try putting the whole bottle in one wheel for now and buying another bottle for the other if it works :)
    live long, eat biscuit
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Damage to the holes where the valve goes through? Any small burrs can cause leaks...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Anonymous
    did you do the shaking the wheel thing once the tyres were fitted and inflated? its difficult for the sealant to get to the valve and spoke areas as it sits in the bottom of the tyre.
  • cw42
    Tried the shaky wheel thing but don't think input enough sealant in for it to work properly. Could also be the fact that the rims are over 8 years old!
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, will have another go in a while.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • cw42
    Update; used plumbers pipe sealant to fit the valve tighter. Poured the contents of the joes no flats into the two Tyres, pumped to 60psi and spun. Front is still up, rear seems to have gone a little soft :(
    live long, eat biscuit
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Use tubes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cw42
    cooldad wrote:
    Use tubes.

What! That's a crazy suggestion :)
    (if they don't stay up I will be :()
    live long, eat biscuit
  • cw42
    They're still up! :)
    No loss in pressure for the last 12+ hours now. Cracked it :)
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Anonymous
    nicely done.