Tyre advice for the larger man

spinndrift
spinndrift Posts: 185
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
I've been running Ritchey Speedmax Comps (700x32) on the Fuji since I got it but yesterday had a broken glass incident and have a dodgy slit in the carcass so it's time for new tyres.

The top choice is a pair of Gator Skins but with being 18.5 stone and the biggest seeming to be only 700 x 25 I'm a bit concerned that I'll struggle with the smaller air chamber.

I've looked at the Schwalbe Marathon range but the all seem very heavy.

What are people opinions - my riding is very must road based.

I know I need to lose weight but I'm down from 22 stone so I'm getting there :oops:
Cheers

Andy
Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
Andrew Creer Massage

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've just put some Schwalbe Marathon 32s on my bike for some off road use - they're not that heavy and means I can blat through some great stuff off road. I'm 13 stone.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have Conti 4 seasons in 25mm and they seem to be a good compromise of low weight, good grip in wet and dry, comfort and durability.

Being 25mm you can run at lower pressures for a more forgiving ride
  • spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    Thanks for the advice guys - just discovered you can get the gatorskins in 28mm :D
    Cheers

Andy
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Have a look at Schwalbe Supremes - superb tyres. Light for their size, durable, good grip in the wet and I haven't had a puncture in 2 years (you mileage may vary!).
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • I don't really understand, just because you are "larger", why do you need narrower tyres? Do you think you're going to keel over?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Not narrower, I mean wider....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I don't need narrower tyres was just a little concerned that narrow tyres would take less abuse that wider ones.
    Cheers

Andy
    Andrew Creer Massage