London Skyride on sunday

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone going?

Course is meant to open at 9.30 did anyone go down earlier than that last year and do some laps? What time are the roads closed from?

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    No; and

Nope.

Hope you have a good day for it.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive gotta be in work in town by 10 so i was planning on getting down there for 8 to do some flat laps before work.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I'll have a look, sure. It would be nice to see what it'd be like if there where no cars in London.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Don't forget to dress appropriately for the ride, floral skirt and stiletto heels :lol:

article-1307741-0AFBEEEA000005DC-452_468x651.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hubba hubba wag wag wag!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Not for me, but my friend might.

I suggested they could do a guided tour into London from Crystal Palace.

Does anyone know how these work?

It looks to me that there's around 100 available entries per starting place. To me that sounds like trouble waiting to happen - 100 cyclists hitting the road at once? waa? I'm assuming it will be normal Sunday traffic (apart from the traffic free zones in the city).

Are the start times staggered or something?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Best way to do the skyride is to marshal in a load of riders of all shapes and sizes from the edge of London (great fun) then spend the day in the marshal's tent eating and chatting, then marshal what's left of your riders home.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Anyone going?

I think that I am going to go with the family. This might involve us finding a couple of Boris Bikes for an hour though. It also involves having the 7 and 9 year olds cycling their bikes
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    redvee wrote:
    Don't forget to dress appropriately for the ride, floral skirt and stiletto heels :lol:

Dibs on the stoker's seat.
  • nich wrote:

It looks to me that there's around 100 available entries per starting place. To me that sounds like trouble waiting to happen - 100 cyclists hitting the road at once? waa? I'm assuming it will be normal Sunday traffic (apart from the traffic free zones in the city).

I don't know what the hundred rule is all about. Greenwich cyclists has a number of feeder rides that converge on Cutty Sark Gardens and the big crocodile that set off from there last year must have had well over 100 cyclists.

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.com/r ... sy/sky.htm

(I just discovered they've used a photo of mine on that page)
  • nich wrote:

I took a guided ride in from clapham common bandstand last year (first time ever on a bike since childhood). Basically you turn up at the allotted time and at some point you all set off together in a big group. The marshalls on the led ride were members of a local cycling club i think, and were on the outer edges of the group. They also basically blocked the traffic at major junctions so the group could continue as one. probably pissed of a load of drivers, but easier than the group getting spilt at traffic lights. The pace was fairly slow, what with lots of kids and first time cyclists and made to buck house without incident.
    they'll state a time and place to meet for a return led ride too if you want to go in a group home too.

All in all, I thought it very well organised and pulled off, but I'll be making my own way this year so not tied into their times. Plus I'm a lot more confident on the roads and with the route into town.
  • _Brun_
    I didn't go anywhere near it last year, but notice that this year's route is much longer than it was in '08. I might have to work Saturday anyway, so if I'm outta bed early enough I might head down there and check it out before the inevitable carnage ensues.
  • _Brun_
    That's my flatmate's fault for confusing me last night. I'd have worked it out when wondering why the roads appeared to be closed for cars. Cheers tho' :)
  • I'll be heading in again with the 2 eldest this time :-) If anyone gets overtaken/crashed into by 2 red-head girls you know who to blame :-)

Route looks like a slight variation on last years with the diversion around St Paul's and I can't wait to give it large through Blackfriars!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    BJ, you can't give it large unless your girls are as quck as you :lol:

Junior SCRs in training? :wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    _Brun_ wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Dibs on the stroker's seat.

ftfy

I'm anticipating being in the pain cave on sunday, the idea of other people might not appeal
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    BJ, you can't give it large unless your girls are as quck as you :lol:

Junior SCRs in training? :wink:

Hell yeah! Was well proud of them both at Centre Parcs as they tackled both the up and down hills like pros :-) Besides Iz can look after Ella for a brief period whilst daddy does some silly riding through the tunnel :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I didn't go anywhere near it last year, but notice that this year's route is much longer than it was in '08. I might have to work Saturday anyway, so if I'm outta bed early enough I might head down there and check it out before the inevitable carnage ensues.

isn't this a Sunday thing?

anyways peeps who's for a bit of close road Embankment fun followed by a couple at HQ?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

anyways peeps who's for a bit of close road Embankment fun followed by a couple at HQ?

You'd need to get there fairly early for proper closed road action. The official course doesn't go past HQ but you should still be able to have some fun through Blackfriars and I can't see Embankment being that bad on a Sunday.

2 years ago when I rode it with DDD (and later in the day Snooks) we managed 1 "flying" lap fairly early on then had slow ones after that as it was to busy to get any decent speed up. Still eeked out a few sprints but you really have to be careful as the kids and people who haven't ridden the bike since the previous xmas in Halfords can be a bit erratic!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

You'd need to get there fairly early for proper closed road action. The official course doesn't go past HQ but you should still be able to have some fun through Blackfriars and I can't see Embankment being that bad on a Sunday.

2 years ago when I rode it with DDD (and later in the day Snooks) we managed 1 "flying" lap fairly early on then had slow ones after that as it was to busy to get any decent speed up. Still eeked out a few sprints but you really have to be careful as the kids and people who haven't ridden the bike since the previous xmas in Halfords can be a bit erratic!

Wont matter by then i'll be wearing the patented itboffin beer jacket, so what if it's only 9.30am SW trains have a buffet trolley in the mornings. :wink:
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521

Someone mention my name?

I remember scalping DDD up on my knobbly MTB and in his rush to catch me up he ran some kiddies over (not strictly true, but it makes for a good memory, the bit about me beating DDD was, but the kiddies cycled out in front of him....apparently)

Anyway, I might be out in the morning, (got to look at wedding venues in the afternoon) I didn't know it was on as I've just come back from sailing around for 3 months, and did 5 miles yesterday and it's all bit tender in the saddle department :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Is anyone doing the ride and heading into London from Richmond, I'm sure yet but I think have Sunday off work won't know till Friday..,

I now have a road bike as well! So I will be riding that over mtb...
  • I now have a road bike as well! So I will be riding that over mtb...

Why not just ride around it ;-)

@snooks - now there you go bringing up DDD's little mishap, I purposely didn't mention that!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521

@snooks - now there you go bringing up DDD's little mishap, I purposely didn't mention that!

I'm just reading the Sac Wax thread, he's doing a good enough job of bringing up his little mishap in there.....Oh you mean the one at Sky ride ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Well I have the w/end which is a good thing :D

So I can now do the sky ride, so is anyone heading in from Richmond?(or near there) If so and want to meet let me know.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'm coming in from Acton so I could meet up? I'm new in these parts (not BR - London, moved here 4 weeks ago) so would quite like to see the faces behind the forumites!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I'm marshalling - which is a new experience for me - from Grove Park in SE London. Apparently I get a blue bib and a free lunch. The things I'll do for a free lunch.... :lol:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I'm marshalling - which is a new experience for me - from Grove Park in SE London. Apparently I get a blue bib and a free lunch. The things I'll do for a free lunch.... :lol:

It's just sandwiches.

Layer four different coloured t-shirts, take one off after each visit, and it's practically "eat all you can" (if four sandwiches is all you can eat).
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I'm marshalling - which is a new experience for me - from Grove Park in SE London. Apparently I get a blue bib and a free lunch. The things I'll do for a free lunch.... :lol:

I'm marshalling too...thought it'd be an interesting day out - mine's the Merton to Buckingham Gate route
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)