Laurent Fignon RIP

martinwitnam
martinwitnam Posts: 439
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
The world today lost one of the greats of the Tour de France, Laurent Fignon to cancer.
May he rest in peace.

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Comments

• tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    + 1 RIP
  • Another +1 RIP
  • Sad news, that.

The Professor was pure class.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Was the cancer just 'one of those things' or was it a result of the 'nutritional supplements' he is alleged to have taken?

Still I'll always remember that Paris TT.
  • I really liked him, and his TdF battle with LeMond that year he lost by 8 seconds was when I really woke up to le tour. As Greg has said there were 2 winners that year - le prof of course might disagree with that.

Chapeau Laurent, chapeau.

:(
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Cressers wrote:
    Was the cancer just 'one of those things' or was it a result of the 'nutritional supplements' he is alleged to have taken?

Still I'll always remember that Paris TT.

Does it really matter?

I doubt people would be asking the same stuff if he'd smoked a little in his 20s.

Being alive is the ultimate cause of cancer. You've got to die of something.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Got a video I recorded from Channel 4 tour coverage - Fignon and some spanish rider, maybe Fuerte, at the top of La Plagne I think.

Fignon sat on the other riders wheel, drops it into a massive gear, waiting for the sprint to start, then blows him away.

Class.

A sad loss.
  • I bought one of my first cycling mags during the '83 TdF to read when I was on holiday in Wales. In it was a full page colour photo of Fignon resplendant in yellow with a Renault headband and riding his blue Gitane up a mountain. My favourite rider of the time. Will be sadly missed.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • I was too young to appreciate the 83/84 TdF wins by Fignon, but remember the '89 race for it's closeness. Sad news, especially at such a young age. Makes you appreciate life all the more.
    RIP
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • What iainment said.

TDF 89 was a cycling epiphany for me too. Felt absolutely gutted for Fignon when Kermit pipped him to it.
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."