New MTB Hardtail Buying advice please

2»

Comments

• Bought a Boardman Team earlier this year admittedly second hand although u wudn't have noticed as the guy had only used it once...ye there wer a few bits n pieces tht weren't fitted correctly..but I just popped along to a small (but brilliant) local cycle repair guy to get it sorted...cost next to nothing...and am very pleased with frame parts etc....would add tht i did change the seat to one where i could still walk after sitting on it...but apart from tht NP whatsoever...one can spend ages pontificating and arguing the toss over what bike blah blah ..but once uve established what u need it for and a budget (stick to it) plenty of extras u will need..helmet etc...go SIT on a few and buy one! Its far better fun riding the bloody things than going on about it on here..u wil always find someone who doesnt like this bike or tht..but end of day yur the one who has to ride it..its yur call!

imho
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Perhaps we should ask people to qualify these thread titles.

Something like "What was the best medium budget FS that was in the shops in 2007?"

Boardman are a relatively unknown brand especially in mtb, less so now in road bikes. All the new'ish companies (Boardman, Focus, Planet X) are providing unbeatable value to achieve Market presence.

You can take advantage of this or you can buy a lower spec bike from an established brand or an unsold old bike, for the same money.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Perhaps we should ask people to qualify these thread titles.

Something like "What was the best medium budget FS that was in the shops in 2007?"

Boardman are a relatively unknown brand especially in mtb, less so now in road bikes. All the new'ish companies (Boardman, Focus, Planet X) are providing unbeatable value to achieve Market presence.

You can take advantage of this or you can buy a lower spec bike from an established brand or an unsold old bike, for the same money.

"unbeatable" debatable.....an older model with a better spec for less ? then yes that makes sense to me just because we have moved from 2009 to 2010 and the stickers on the fork and the frame colour has changed then yes Mr bike shop I will take your lovely 40% saving thankyou very much....

Take the ancient Canan Team http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b2s1p1501 and the Meteore http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b2s2p1494 and deny that they are not good value for money for the specs they present just because they are two years old, also think about the general consensus that technology does not really change that much....if you still think the terrible buy then your barmy...Perhaps another thred title could be "Do not look at any bike under £1,500 other than a Boardman...period" this would save some 30 posts a day and save you and I all this tit fior tat.....xx
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • I hadn't realized there were that many posts re Boardmans...probably far fewer than about Pauls Cycles :)

I see your putting kisses after posts now ...nice
    (tongue in cheek)
  • Bar Shaker
    There hasn't been that many recommendations but every time I post one, Pudsey is there, throwing urls for Paul's Cycles around, like they are confetti. :lol:

If someone posts that they are thinking of actually buying a Boardman, he's off scouring Paul's Cycles stock list looking for something, anything, no matter how old or unsuitable, that he can steer the OP towards. I've had pms from people who say they bought the Boardman but were afraid to post as such because Pudsey seemed so sure they should buy something else and they didn't want to offend him.

It doesn't really bother me what anyone buys but if they ask a question and I can offer advice from my experience with owning Boardmans than I will reply. I guess that's all any of the replies are as we only know about what we own or have owned and how it feels when used for our own sort of riding. I would never dream of recommending a trail centre specific or DH specific bike as I have never owned one.

Each to their own and remember any advice you get on here is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is nothing wrong with most of the bikes listed in this thread, all are great value despite the year. Especially given what I said about 'year' parts too.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    There hasn't been that many recommendations but every time I post one, Pudsey is there, throwing urls for Paul's Cycles around, like they are confetti. :lol:

If someone posts that they are thinking of actually buying a Boardman, he's off scouring Paul's Cycles stock list looking for something, anything, no matter how old or unsuitable, that he can steer the OP towards. I've had pms from people who say they bought the Boardman but were afraid to post as such because Pudsey seemed so sure they should buy something else and they didn't want to offend him.

It doesn't really bother me what anyone buys but if they ask a question and I can offer advice from my experience with owning Boardmans than I will reply. I guess that's all any of the replies are as we only know about what we own or have owned and how it feels when used for our own sort of riding. I would never dream of recommending a trail centre specific or DH specific bike as I have never owned one.

Each to their own and remember any advice you get on here is worth exactly what you paid for it.

I offer advice based of the post and never have as you suggest offered something which does not fit the requirement of the post, so if someone is after a bike with a budget I offer what I think personally (again personally) is a good buy. Yes Pauls do feature a lot as they offer fantasic deals on some on the premium brands (and no I am not saying Boradman isn't..I have recomeded them a few times) A while ago it was the KHS range which had rave reviews like the Boardmans and were heavily discounted due to the new ranges...it's not always Pauls but again they usually have something that fulfils the requirement of the post even if they are a year or so old...My XTC is amazing for what I paid via cyclescheme (get ready to pick yourself up off the floor..I did consider the Pro HT Boardman, but they did not take Cyclescheme and had a bad experience which I hope was limited to my particular store in that pond life had more brain cells than the guy whom served me) In do not (perhaps once or twice :cry: ) have I slated the Boardman range they are good bikes and are well spec'd.....I simply offer alternatives. But I do find it weird that when I do recommend an alternative its either to old, to dusty, the wrong colour etc...the Goose I originaly recomended pisses on the Boardman comp.....but you cannot see that or want to accept it...just because its a model which is two years old !! I bet you have bought clothes in sales which are past seasons..so what's the difference....My XTC is a 2009 so what it looks fantastic...by the way still love you xxx :twisted:
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • I think something that has to be taken into consideration, is that nearly all of us on this forum have a Halfords within a reasonable distance. Very few of us have Paul's Cycles within a reasonable distance.

So, when most of us can pop down to Halfords at pretty much anytime, since it's generally open late too, it makes for a very convenient buy, and when it's so highly regarded in the first place, that's the icing on the cake. Ok, the customer service has a slightly sour after-taste, but combined with the fact that 99% of us have been in and at the very least, seen the Boardman's up close, it's no surprise they're recommended.

Of course, there's loads of alternatives. But nearly all require extra research and possibly don't come with the option of trying the bikes in any form. If you take that route, you might be glad you did, but if you're prepared to, you will, despite the advice on the Boardman's.
  • Bar Shaker
    Pudsey, you take me too seriously. Its only the internet.

Vive la difference!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • oif course, halfords do offer a free six-week service, and decent warranties. service is usually subjective to the store, and if there are any complaints, just take it to another shop.
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • Justinl
    Justinl Posts: 14
    This thread seems to have a life of it's own. Well looks like I have my bike. I thought I'd have a quick look around and found what I think is a decent bike for a good price, it's a Boardman (surprise surprise!) MTB/HT Team (2009), sold as new (not ridden) and comes with receipt, service papers etc. This seemed one up from the Boardman Comp I was originally looking at? What do you think?

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/boardman/mtb-ht-team-2009

Cheers
  • Looks spot on to me. Enjoy it!
  • As sadi earlier I bought a Team earlier this year and got lucky on the 2nd hand stakes as it had only been ridden down the road once..i paid £550

I've found it fine for me..very light...gd specs...saddle..ouch! Factor in a new one..imho..but hey pop down shop and sit on one
  • Bar Shaker
    The Team is amazing value for money and shares the same frame with the Pro.

Good choice.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Great. Everything is confirmed, I'm picking the bike up on Saturday. Hasn't been ridden at all and paying just over £500. Don't think I could have got a better deal, not worried if it isn't 2010 spec, but seems far better spec than anything I could have bought new.
  • Amazing bike, may it serve you well.
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS