When to change brake pads?

TimB34
TimB34 Posts: 316
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I know this is a bit of a daft question, but when do people usually change their pads?

Do you let them go right down to nothing, or change them when the pad material is the same thickness as the retaining spring (this is what I've just done on Avid Juicy 3s)?

And is it normal for one pad to wear down quicker than the other?

Thanks.

Comments

• lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    I wouldnt let them run to nothing if you do you could risk damaging the rotor.

I usually change them when they are getting to about 1mm mark maybe less depending on what rides im doing if only local might leave them slightly longer.

Yes sometimes i have had one pad worn a bit more than the other
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Pad shouldn't wear unevenly if you've got the caliper centred and the rotor isn't warped.

Some pads have a bump on them that you shouldn't let the resin go lower than.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on what the maker says.

some allow for more wear than others.

most people seem to wait till the back plates are rubbing on the rotors though.

not a good idea.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    nicklouse wrote:

not a good idea.

Doesn't that gouge the rotor?
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    nicklouse wrote:

not a good idea.

Doesn't that gouge the rotor?

Yup, and has a dire affect on your ability to stop....

But some people manage to waste a lot of money by trying to save a few pennies![/quote]
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Chivalry
    Chivalry Posts: 48
    i know its maybe a daft question... and i know theres alot of factors to take in... but in general... what kind of lifespan do pads usualy last for?
    an average rider maybe doing 3 x 10 mile rides a week say... are we talking weeks,,,, months ,, or years? :)
  • All depends on what the pads are made of and what conditions they are ridden in.

I've used one set on a very damp run down Whites at Afan...but other times a set has lasted me all season.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Brake pads normally last between 1 and 2 months for me, less if I'm riding a lot (50 or 60 miles a week) in very bad conditions

But then I have had a set of pads go after only 3 or 4 miles. These were organics and conditions were horrible so it goes to show how you have to pick your pad compound carefully
  • Chivalry
    Chivalry Posts: 48
    3 or 4 miles?? christ.. what were you doing?? trying to anchor a freight train?? lol
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Don't think I was even braking that much, just when I did, it was quite hard so it got the rotors quite hot as I found out when I decided to see how hot they were at the end of the run when I had like no braking power....

....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It depends so much on how you ride and where you ride. Like, in my Soul both the brakes are a bit low on pad now, but it doesn't matter because it's mainly used for XC rides and quick blasts round Glentress, so no one ride will finish them off. But the Hemlock's hopefully off to Fort William again so it's getting new pads first, regardless of how much material is left, because it's going to rip them to bits :lol:

Remember you don't need to bin half-used pads, they're good as spares so it's not like you're throwing money away replacing a part-worn pad.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Chivalry wrote:
    i know its maybe a daft question... and i know theres alot of factors to take in... but in general... what kind of lifespan do pads usualy last for?
    an average rider maybe doing 3 x 10 mile rides a week say... are we talking weeks,,,, months ,, or years? :)

I do almost entirely XC type riding in dry conditions, recently decided to change my original AVID pads in Juicy3s after just over 1100kms (about 700 miles in English :wink: ) Both front and back were close to what i would consider to be a sensible time to change, ie not quite on wear limit, can still use in an emergency...but this is just my experience, certain types of pads are far better suited to wet or dry conditions etc, so it may be very dependent on your type of riding...
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    peter413 wrote:
    Don't think I was even braking that much, just when I did, it was quite hard so it got the rotors quite hot as I found out when I decided to see how hot they were at the end of the run when I had like no braking power....

....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yep i've done that one as well....

Was doing some very gentle downhill in the alps a few weeks ago, stopped my bike for a quick rest and could suddenly hear this hissing noise coming from the front wheel...thought Oh bugger I can't have punctured half way down this bl00dy mountain, started to rotate the wheel to try and find some damage, only to realise the hissing sound was the hot disc scorching/burning the grass it was led against ...how releaved/stupid did i feel !!!
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • 6 - 6 months. more or less.