Grinding Noise!

simon johnson
simon johnson Posts: 1,064
edited September 2010 in Workshop
I've got a gritty/grinding noise coming from the rearhub/cassette area. It's only apparent when I'm turning the pedals, and when I spin the pedals in the opposite direction there seems to be a bit of resistance such that the chain bunches up slightly. Any ideas ,it's a Dura Ace groupset (7800 2008) on Easton Ea90 SLXs (2010). It might even be the jockey wheels....

Any advice appreciated
Where\'s me jumper?

Comments

• Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    Okay.

When you turn the pedals in the opposite direction, and the chain bunches, that is most probably a problem with your freehub. As for grinding when pedalling, I would guess it is probably the other bearings in your hub.

Take the wheel off the bike and check it for play, by spinning the wheel in your hands. Also if you hear the gritty/grinding noise now, it is definately your hub needing a service. Also turn the freehub/cassette by hand to see how free it spins.

Basically, if you have never regreased your hubs, (I'm assuming they are not really new), then you need to either do this yourself, or take it to a good LBS or a wheel builder who will do it for you for a small fee.

If you have covered many miles on them, you may need replacement bearings and possibly even a new freehub. The LBS should be able to tell you when they strip it.
  • Wamas wrote:
    Okay.

When you turn the pedals in the opposite direction, and the chain bunches, that is most probably a problem with your freehub. As for grinding when pedalling, I would guess it is probably the other bearings in your hub.

Take the wheel off the bike and check it for play, by spinning the wheel in your hands. Also if you hear the gritty/grinding noise now, it is definitely your hub needing a service. Also turn the freehub/cassette by hand to see how free it spins.

Basically, if you have never regreased your hubs, (I'm assuming they are not really new), then you need to either do this yourself, or take it to a good LBS or a wheel builder who will do it for you for a small fee.

If you have covered many miles on them, you may need replacement bearings and possibly even a new freehub. The LBS should be able to tell you when they strip it.

Cheers Wamas.

Yep, is definitley the hub and/or bearings; the freehub has been stripped and regreased...still the noise. I've searched elsewhere and this keeps coming up with Easton wheels.....seems that that area is not well sealed/protected. The wheels are only a year old but have been used sparingly (on average less than once a week), this all started after a wet ride two weeks ago. Annoying, I will get in touch with Easton and see what they have to say, this shouldn't be happening surely.
    Where\'s me jumper?