Anthem X4 deal?

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
Apologies if this has been highlighted elsewhere, but Rutland Cycles are offering the 2010 Giant Anthem X4 for £1,099

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/16174/Gia ... -2010.html

I'm pretty tempted by this, especially considering the reviews it received at full price of £1,400. However, this would be my first full sus and I notice that the rear shock doesn't have lockout - is this a problem?

Is £1,099 a decent price?

Any comments welcome.

S

Comments

• Chivalry
    Chivalry Posts: 48
    cheaper than i can find it anywhere else so seems a very good price.. as for the rear lockout... it does have the Fox pro pedal switch that kind of gets rid of any initial bob when pedaling hard but still keeps the shock active.. basicly as far as i understand it locks up the shock for small bumps but still works and compresses for large hits.... kind of best of both worlds :)
    I have it on my trance X3 and am more than happy with it :)

Nice bike at a nice price...
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I would say 'no' - the only time I have ever noticed the back end bobbing at all is when climbing on roads in too high a gear, and then I can induce some movement, otherwise I've not noticed the lack of a rear lockout, and to be honest I rarely lock out the fork either as it doesn't need it unless you are standing and stomping, and I'm a sit and pedal rider.

The Anthem is my first FS bike, and I'm finding it a fun ride. It climbs well with great traction, and while I'm very new to going downhill so far I'm finding it floats over the bumps and roots on my local trails, and I'm finding I go much faster than ever imagined without feeling out of control.

The [url-http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/anthem-x-4-10-36203]review on here[/url] says that "the rear shock’s middling compression damping tune strikes a good balance between filtering out unwanted bobbing and maintaining small bump compliance".

At £1,099 I would say "BUY" - you won't regret it if an XC is what you are lookiing for.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,492
    The X4 has the Fox Float R shock which doesn't have the propedal switch. But it's still a good buy. If you want the propedal you'll need to get at least an X3.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Just ordered it - seems they selling like hot cakes, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise, given the price.

Collect it in a week's time. The missus is gonna kill me!
  • Thats a bargain, well worth it. :D
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Bargain !!! can't deny that !! I bet you are waiting with bated breath ! enjoy
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,492
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    Just ordered it - seems they selling like hot cakes, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise, given the price.

Collect it in a week's time. The missus is gonna kill me!
    Good move. Just remember, it is better to ask forgiveness than permission :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • anthem x are great welcome to the club :lol:
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    i paid £1120 for my x4.
    the only thing i didn't like are the tyres, which have now gone.it hasn't got pro pedal but the fox f1oo are the best forks i have come across by far.