Trouble with Suntour Shocks

pura
pura Posts: 6
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a Giant Roam 2 online and am very pleased with it, but I'm not sure if the lockout on the front shocks (Suntour NEX 4610 v2 MLO 700c) is working correctly. When the lockout is on, the shocks still freely travel roughly 10-15mm before hitting the lockout quite hard. On the flat its fine until any bumps where the shocks slam into the lockout on "landing".

Its as if the lockout doesnt lock the shocks at full enough extension. Is there a way to adjust the amount of travel when the lockout is on? I'm starting to wonder if paying the extra at a bike shop would have been easier.

Thanks in advance and apologies for any poor terminology :)

Comments

• anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Hi my missus has a Giant CRS with Suntour shocks and the lock out on them is temperamental too. What you describe sounds similar to the problems she's having! Though she's had hers for a year+ now.

The Suntour website has service videos on it so it might be worth having a look there.

http://www.srsuntour-tuning-base.com/in ... ingID=108#

Two in particular could be interesting:

1. "Solve lock out issues" which is the 4th one down.
    2. "Mechanical-Lock-Out (MLO)" which is the 10th one down.

In saying that though how long have you had the bike for? Maybe worth getting in touch with the retailer. see what they say as you'll have some sort of warranty period.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • pura
    pura Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply :)

I should have said I had a look at the videos before posting here, aswell as some pdf's on the shocks, but ive struggled to understand what exactly theyre doing because there doesnt seem to be any narration.

I'll contact the retailer, but sending back to them would be a bit of a last resort. I'm fairy confident about fixing/adjusting parts, but never having shocks before.. this is the one part i have no experience with - as it would be. :)

I'll let you know if i figure out a solution.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Ahh ok apologies then.
    Yeah the lack of narration is slightly annoying but at least it lets you see what's inside before you try to take anything apart.

Good luck with the retailer, keep me posted! :)
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)