Garage anchor Points or other solutions?

aldric
aldric Posts: 161
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
I have a garage which I am unable to secure unless I buy a new front up and over door and a side door. It has never really been a problem as the most valuable thing in my garage at the moment is a £100 lawnmower. Thankfully I live in a low crime area.

I now have my new bike and my wife isn't too happy about keeping it in the house all year round.

Can anyone suggest anything to secure my bike? I don't have any locks either as I will be able to keep my bike secure inside a room at work. So I will need one of them too!

Many thanks,
Aldric

Comments

• aldric
    There seem to be a lot of really expensive solutions out there, but would something like this be suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96493/Sec ... und-Anchor
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    dont just consider the ground anchor, but also consider what it is being bolted into!

if you're in the London area, my mate does a supply and fitting service. this will include reconcreting if necessary to ensure a quality and secure fitting.
    His names Andy, google: anchor man, and tell him Trouty* pointed you his way. He can supply the ground anchors, locks etc.

Although it has to be said, a garage door would be a good investment - if the garage contents cant be seen, then they are less likely to attract the villain in the first place.

*dont ask...
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • aldric
    I live in Scotland, couldn't be much further away!!

I have a garage door, it just doesn't have a lock... I just can't afford a new door just now unfortunately.

The gound anchor would need to go in to concrete, or a brick wall.......
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    im sure a quick google search would give recomendations on best fitting. Usually, a decent anchor will come with bolts, a drill bit, and some resin. The bolts though aren't amazing, so replace with decent quality bolts.

Another thing that i have seen, is a bit of decent square steel box section (from a scrap metal dealer?), maybe 8" long. Put 2 big holes on one face (for access) and 2 smaller hose in the opposite face (for bolting down), bolt this steel onto the floor in the corner where wall meets floor. Heavy duty chain can pass straight through it. Good budget ground anchor!
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • aldric wrote:
    There seem to be a lot of really expensive solutions out there, but would something like this be suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/96493/Sec ... und-Anchor

Before spending any money, the first thing is to check with your insurer, they may require a certain standard of security.

For bikes stored in out buildings, mine only required they be locked to something immovable hence this is the anchor I use http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/products.jsp?id=42746&ts=01473. But my old policy just said I had to use a gold standard lock.

Yours may require a lockable garage door etc
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Fit a lock to the garage door?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Before spending any money, the first thing is to check with your insurer, they may require a certain standard of security.

+1

Please do not bolt the anchor to the ground unless your D-lock can be fed through it and directly to the bike.

My insurance provider used to require Silver rated SoldSecure locks and anchors.

I found the Oxford wall anchor which is Silver rated.
    I bolted it to the wall of the garage, which is far better than bolting it down to the ground for one simple reason: when bolted to the ground, I could not get a D lock to secure the bike to the anchor.

A friend bought an anchor too, bolted it to ground and then guess what, he had to use the cable supplied with the D-lock to secure the bike to the anchor, defeating the safety rating: the cable lock is not rated, it's the D-lock itself that is.

I also managed to get a Squire Silver rated lock, which is not only quite beefy, but feeds the flat part of the D into the Oxford anchor, and the key hole is still accessible from below, allowing me to easily unlock it, yet giving me more freedom of positioning the lock on the bike.
    Kryptonite D locks tend to have the keyhole on the side of the flat part of the D, and make it near impossible to use them directly into an anchor that way.[/img]
  • Fit a lock to the garage door?

+1

If the actual door lock doesn't work then pop rivet some bolts to the bottom of the garage door and lock with padlocks. My integral garage has three locks on the door, but my contents insurers STILL want my bikes to be locked to an immovable object (e.g. a wall anchor)...so three of my bikes live in the house. The bikes are happy because it means they can watch the cycling on Eurosport :D
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    fnegroni wrote:

+1

Please do not bolt the anchor to the ground unless your D-lock can be fed through it and directly to the bike.[/img]
    The idea with a ground anchor is that it gets used with a chain - you can get chain, anchor and lock here: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ ... ts/c-1-73/

Expensive, but if you see how easily the cheaper locks and chains are to defeat you'll appreciate why.
  • aldric
    Thanks a lot for your comments and ideas.

I will contact the insurance company and see what they say, but for now the bike is living indoors.
  • SLX01
    SLX01 Posts: 338
    aldric wrote:
    I now have my new bike and my wife isn't too happy about keeping it in the house all year round.
    Many thanks,
    Aldric

You could keep the bike nice and safe in doors and stick the wife in the garage, statistics show far more bikes get stolen than wives!! :lol:
  • ndodd
    ndodd Posts: 54
    get a big bucket half fill it with bricks/rocks top it up with cement get a eye bolt (a bolt with a loop on top) set that into the cement and you have something solid and heavy to chain your bike to
  • ndodd wrote:
    get a big bucket half fill it with bricks/rocks top it up with cement get a eye bolt (a bolt with a loop on top) set that into the cement and you have something solid and heavy to chain your bike to

Unfortunately that will not satisfy insurance requirements where the bike has to be locked to an immovable object.
    In which case, you would have to bolt the bucket down.
  • aldric
    I am trying to get a new key for the lock for starters, seems that I can get one cut without too many problems.

There seems to be a lot of concern about insurance companies and them not paying out. Are they likely to come round and check if the bike got stolen? Surely not?

For something under £1k I would think they would just pay out. I am obviously being optomistic looking at the previous posts!