Brighton/Sussex TT's for a beginner

spezial
spezial Posts: 142
I'm sure this topic has been done to death, so sorry. I've just done my first "season" of doing sportives and such like, but I'd really like to give TT'ing a go.

I'm in the Brighton area, so just wondered what there was in the way of 10/25 mile events round here, and what would be good to go for as a first timer?

Also, what good clubs are there round here for the inexperienced rider?
"what's it pertaining?"

Comments

• fluided
    fluided Posts: 114
  • spezial
    fluided wrote:

Great, you a member of any of those or done any of their events?
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • fluided
    fluided Posts: 114
    sadly not a member

I have only just done my first event which was the rumble on sunday done the tour ride which i have to say i loved it so i may think about joining a club.

One of the guys that runs the srs events is a member of the sussex nomads.

I'm sure they will all welcome you.
  • spezial
    Snap, I did the Rumble too, against my better judgement I did the full classic distance, a killer!

Was surprised not to see many Brighton club jerseys on the ride or club affiliations on the start list.

Main 2 clubs I'm looking at are the Nomads and Brighton Mitre, keep us posted if you join and what it's like!

Ta. :?:
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • High guys. Here is some information about TT's in the area. The TT season only has about 6 weeks left and the events are split between Club and Open events. The Club events are usually in the evenings and the Open events are at the weekends. You need to formally enter the latter, approx 10 days before the events. Club events are slowly winding down but we (Sussex Nomads) have one this Sunday. It's a 5 miler, from Pyecombe to Henfield. It starts at 9.00. You might also want to consider doing a HillClimb, as it's that part of the season.

On Cycling Clubs. I would recommend that you join one that is local to you, i.e. one that you can easily ride to join the Club Runs. This then gives you flexibilty to ride as much of the Club Run as you want. Also, you will meet Club members who live around you and you will get to know about the informal rides that take place during the week.
  • spezial
    SNomad wrote:
    High guys. Here is some information about TT's in the area. The TT season only has about 6 weeks left and the events are split between Club and Open events. The Club events are usually in the evenings and the Open events are at the weekends. You need to formally enter the latter, approx 10 days before the events. Club events are slowly winding down but we (Sussex Nomads) have one this Sunday. It's a 5 miler, from Pyecombe to Henfield. It starts at 9.00. You might also want to consider doing a HillClimb, as it's that part of the season.

On Cycling Clubs. I would recommend that you join one that is local to you, i.e. one that you can easily ride to join the Club Runs. This then gives you flexibilty to ride as much of the Club Run as you want. Also, you will meet Club members who live around you and you will get to know about the informal rides that take place during the week.

Thanks for info, I realise I've left it il the 11th hour this season to start looking into this now, but hopefully I can catch a couple of events before the off season. Is there a central website that lists events in the area? I've had a scout round but can't seem to find one.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • Try the CTT website - http://www.ctt.org.uk/

Our area have courses with the prefix G. Bec CC has a Come and Try Event this Saturday, 10 miles, in Surrey (Horne/Newchapel). We also have a Club event, 10 mile, on the 19th October at 10.

You might find that you need to be a member of a Club to enter a CTT event. We have to pay affiliation fees every year, so that our Club Members can ride these events. Club events don't have these conditions. You first 25 will live in your memory for a long time, as it's an experience. The pain!