Fork for mmmBop

individual6891
individual6891 Posts: 120
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
So having kicked myself for not picking up one of these at £300... now, I'm struggling to find a good value fork.

Ideally would be adjustable (talas, u-turn) but not necessarily. Don't want to spend more than £400 considering the frame price.

The best I can find is this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54223

Also, is it worth sticking a 120mm on the mmmBop? I noticed the 2011 Piglet, but would like a light alloy frame.

Comments

• I had a 2010 revelation and i found the u-turn to be a waste of time. Took forever to lower it a meaningful amount so i just used to climb on full travel and lock it out.

I believe the dual position air on some of the 2011 rev's will be far better and requires only one movement to lower the fork rather than countless turns of a u-turn dial.
  • PS my mate is gutted he missed out on that deal as well. Was a fantastic deal.
  • Mmmbop is designed around 130-150mm travel.

120mm is not going to hurt anything, but it'll not ride like it's supposed to.

You've not specified if you need QR, 20mm, 15mm etc either.

Merlin currently have some Rev RLT at just £300 :shock: QR though.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Would go with the Float 140's in your link with the QR15...as you also get the headset so that will save you £30 or so...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Pikes seem to be the fork of choice for those frames, CWNT has them, I saw a guy round Dalbeattie riding with a pike (orange decals on fork and blue frame) at the weekend and just yesterday I saw another (though he had green decals and a green frame)
  • I have some bargain zocci 55ATA2's for mine :D (Actually they are 55 ATA's but have new internals to the ATA2 spec) Should do the job nicely.
  • That was a great deal from on one, as was the Rev picked up from them for 422 :wink:

IMO £400 is a lot to pay for a QR fork even if it is a fox. as CWNT says, you don't say whether you need QR, 15mm or 20mm to go with your wheels? if you've got the choice and you're building up from scratch i'd go bolt through axel on the front wheel and get a fork to match.

looks like you might have missed the boat though, some of the deals I was aware of a few weeks ago have sold out. :( decide what spec you need and hit google my friend.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Pudseyp
    kona_matt wrote:
    That was a great deal from on one, as was the Rev picked up from them for 422 :wink:

IMO £400 is a lot to pay for a QR fork even if it is a fox. as CWNT says, you don't say whether you need QR, 15mm or 20mm to go with your wheels? if you've got the choice and you're building up from scratch i'd go bolt through axel on the front wheel and get a fork to match.

looks like you might have missed the boat though, some of the deals I was aware of a few weeks ago have sold out. :( decide what spec you need and hit google my friend.

It's not the conventional QR drop outs....its the QR through axel which gives extra stiffness...as the original one he wanted was the same I guess he has a compatible hub...so basically it the same fork but a ton dearer...though you do get an FSA intergrated headset with it. So £400 for a good quality ir fork with a headset is not a lot as you suggest
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Took forever to lower it a meaningful amount

It takes about 4 seconds to go right through the travel from one end to the other :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    That was a great deal from on one, as was the Rev picked up from them for 422 :wink:

It's not the conventional QR drop outs....its the QR through axel which gives extra stiffness...as the original one he wanted was the same I guess he has a compatible hub...so basically it the same fork but a ton dearer...though you do get an FSA intergrated headset with it. So £400 for a good quality ir fork with a headset is not a lot as you suggest

sorry, yes, you're right, i didn't look at it properly, saw QR and jumped to conclusions. £400 isn't a bad deal then. :oops:
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    OnOne are doing the Rev RLT for 306
  • If you are trying to stretch your budget, scan the classifieds.. I picked up some barely used 2010 Fox Vanilla RLC (140mm) with QR15 axle for my mmmBop for a very good price.. you couldn't tell they'd been used..
  • Northwind wrote:
    Took forever to lower it a meaningful amount

It takes about 4 seconds to go right through the travel from one end to the other :?

Felt like i was turning the dial for ages. Hence U-Turn now been dropped and replaced by dual position air.
  • I'm getting the 2011 dual position air revelations for my carbon 456, but i doubt you'll find anyone pushing them out under budget.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I was given 200 quid by my mum today from the house sale - those RLTs are now MINE! Bargain! Dual Flow rebound too.
  • Pudseyp
    supersonic wrote:
    I was given 200 quid by my mum today from the house sale - those RLTs are now MINE! Bargain! Dual Flow rebound too.

Where do you live ??? houses at that price....I'll take two !! :lol: