Bionicon?

fungus_the_muffin_man
fungus_the_muffin_man Posts: 1,608
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
I've had my head turned by the Bionicon Edison ltd 3.

I've always been prone for wanting things a little bit different. So this appeals to me. However googleing it brings up good reviews from 2006/7 and nothing really since.

I've also searched on here and found limited info.

Can anyone help me on what they are like?

I'm going to surosa tomorrow to have a look at the normal Edison, but that will be out of my price range :cry:
Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    There's been reviews of a bionicon as a long term machine in a few MBUK mags a few months ago, however i can't remember which model or which months, sorry!
    I do remember them having a little trouble with the suspension though... (front i think)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    They were on my shortlist when I was looking for my last bike but although I liked the concept I basically ruled one out as it uses custom front and rear suspension and no amount of geometry changing wizardry is going to make up for poorer suspension performance or maintenance issues. Specialized couldn't get it right doing their own thing and they probably spent more on R&D on their suspension than Bionicon make in revenue over a couple of years. Not actually heard about any nightmares with reliability but IMO you're taking a pretty big gamble just for something niche.
  • Fungus The Muffin Man, there is a guy on this forum who absolutely loves them. He almost talked me into getting one although i didnt in the end. I'm sure he'll be along shortly, or try doing a search for the thread.
  • sheepsteeth had a bionicon I think.

They're crazy machines... so much adjustability lol.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I've got one as well - Sheepsteeth had one. 4 of us in our club have them - 2 Edisons, a Tesla and a Golden Willow, with a couple more to follow over the next few weeks.

I'm an absolute convert - really easy to service/work on, super strong construction and nobody I know has had any reliability issues. Factor in that Roger Seal, Bionicon's UK man is an absolute legend and ridiculously helpful (one time even calling me and talking me through a pivot bearing change over the phone).

Thing to check out is the conversion ratio of demo rides to sales, and then the fact that the owners absolutely fall in love with them, hence there being very few on the used market.

I'd thoroughly recommend a demo ride!!

:D
  • Well I've arranged for a test bike 11/12 sept. So I'll tell you how it goes. Looks like i'll be going to llandegla on me tod, cos non of me mates are free. So if you see a speccy knacker falling off a bionicon edison say hi :D
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my golden willow is the only bike i have ever regretted getting rid of (ive got rid of about 22 bikes in my 5 years cycling) it was such a good bike, so capable, so reliable and so much fun to ride i cant believe i swapped it.

i am in the middle of deciding if i should sell all of my bikes to buy another as the actual only bike i would need.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    my golden willow is the only bike i have ever regretted getting rid of (ive got rid of about 22 bikes in my 5 years cycling) it was such a good bike, so capable, so reliable and so much fun to ride i cant believe i swapped it.

i am in the middle of deciding if i should sell all of my bikes to buy another as the actual only bike i would need.

You could build an absolute monster of a GW for that!! I reckon go for the new black & white colourscheme with X0 throughout, Easton bars & seatpost and a smattering of ultra-high end parts all in black for that super understated look. Do it!!!!!!