Calling all cycling granddads

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
I've now joined the exclusive club of cycling grandfathers! I'd like to thank Isabella (below) who made this possible for me at 8:36 this morning :lol:

2010_0831Various0043.JPG

:D

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    edited August 2010
    Congratulations.

Actually, you look more like you've just been delivered than she does.
  • jim453 wrote:
    Congratulations.

Actually, you look more like you've just been delivered than she does.

Yeah, well, I had a particularly traumatic birth - they reckon it will probably take me 60 years to get over it. But I'm a little sceptical...I think it might take longer.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Congrats, but enjoy the cycling now while you still can, cos in 18 months-2 years your granddaughter will look at you with her puppy dog eyes that say 'grandpa are you really going out on the bike instead of taking me to the park'?
  • brin wrote:
    Congrats, but enjoy the cycling now while you still can, cos in 18 months-2 years your granddaughter will look at you with her puppy dog eyes that say 'grandpa are you really going out on the bike instead of taking me to the park'?

Cheers. Two things in my favour here: between my and her home there's Shooters Hill - which counts as a ''London hill'' so I'll get my exercise on the way there and back. And her back garden has a gate to the park beyond - so the magic of parks will soon wear off :wink:
  • Congrats on your becoming a grandad.
    It's been a lovely day all day here and I had intended to get some miles in on the bike.
    Had the grandson stay over last night and I've had great fun playing with him and taking him out walking with the dog in the morning, then playing all afternoon in the garden.
    Yeah, I missed the bike but you have to compromise somewhere :D
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • grandad3 wrote:
    Congrats on your becoming a grandad.
    It's been a lovely day all day here and I had intended to get some miles in on the bike.
    Had the grandson stay over last night and I've had great fun playing with him and taking him out walking with the dog in the morning, then playing all afternoon in the garden.
    Yeah, I missed the bike but you have to compromise somewhere :D

Cheers, grandad3, how long before you get him out on a bike?

We should form a cycling grandads' group - maybe we could find an allotment we could use as a clubhouse :wink:
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Got my grandson a bike for his 2nd birthday - jan this year, it's one of those that has no chain/pedals to help him learn to keep his balance and not have to depend on stabilisers. got him a lid too. When he comes over weekends it's the 1st thing he asks for - regardless of the weather.
  • When I first saw those bikes without pedals I thought what a strange idea. But having seen a neighbour's daughter on one, they really make very good sense. 2 years isn't a long time to wait.

Yes, they're not going to care about a little bit of rain - puddles are fun!
  • deptfordmarmoset:
    Nice pics.
    Enjoy!

My turn soon...Sep 25th is my daughter's due date .

The lad ('it' was spotted on the second scan...) doesn't know it yet but he WILL be a cyclist... :wink:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • unclemalc wrote:
    deptfordmarmoset:
    Nice pics.
    Enjoy!

My turn soon...Sep 25th is my daughter's due date .

The lad ('it' was spotted on the second scan...) doesn't know it yet but he WILL be a cyclist... :wink:

The 25th is only 6 days earlier than my daughter's due date - but the wee one decided she'd have an early look around. Honestly, the youth of today, they simply have no idea what patience is :-)

I hope all goes well for your daughter and grandson. Let's see a pic when he's out and about!
  • :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • Congratulations :wink:
    brin wrote:
    Got my grandson a bike for his 2nd birthday - jan this year, it's one of those that has no chain/pedals to help him learn to keep his balance and not have to depend on stabilisers. got him a lid too. When he comes over weekends it's the 1st thing he asks for - regardless of the weather.
    Surprised that nobody has pointed out to you the error of your ways yet. Standards here are slipping. You should have gone straight for the road bike instead of wasting good money on some hybrid/BSO :roll: :lol:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Congratulations :wink:
    brin wrote:
    Surprised that nobody has pointed out to you the error of your ways yet. Standards here are slipping. You should have gone straight for the road bike instead of wasting good money on some hybrid/BSO :roll: :lol:

Hybrids are to road bikes as milk teeth are to wisdom teeth :wink: