What's a troll?

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
I see that a thread has been locked and at the top it now says troll. Sorry but what is it. If I've posted in the wrong place, please remove but could someone respond or pm me?

Comments

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    edited August 2010
    see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

your above post, for example, could be an attempt at 'trolling'
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    edited August 2010
    troll.jpg?w=400&h=300
  • Teach
    Thank you. I read your link but I am still not sure. there was a thread on accessories for MTB bikes. People did comment that it was in the wrong section, but it is now locked and marked troll at the top. I'm still not sure why it was a troll, why wasn't it that someone posted int he wrong section of the forum. They wouldn't be the first person or the last. You could say this is in the wrong section, but as I'm new to forums I thought I'd ask the question.Cheers.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    When someone deliberately starts an argument for fun. Can't comment on the specifics of the thread in question.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and did you see what the links were to?

a bell with a compass and some other crap.

it was also posted in the Road section while the poster pertained to be an MTBer.

a bit like this topic not really having anything to to with Road Beginners. (sorry we dont and a forum beginners section but the cake stop would be more suitable.

Or even the discuss the site area of the BR Office.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Teach
    Nicklouse. thank you for your response. I am not trying to start an argument. I was just looking back through forum post and was curious. I haven't visited the cake stop before and apologise now for posting in the wrong section. Mods please feel free to move this thread for my mistake.
    Thank you though for shedding some light on my ignorance.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    stop trolling
  • evilollie
    evilollie Posts: 148
    It's a big green monster that lives under a bridge daaa!!!!!!!!!
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    shouldn't it really be trawl..?
    Troll's live under bridges
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    BMX Bear wrote:

Stop trolling
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TrollDollPinkHairSweater.jpg
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    I thought it was to do with the Hobbit where Gandalf caused the Trolls to stay up past dawn (and thus turn to stone) by provoking an argument between them.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I think he missed out a space in the thread title...............

11130467.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • BMX Bear wrote:

Are you really sure about that? I've been under many bridges and never seen any Trolls, but then again I've not been looking that close.

BTW, re: NOTW front page, are ALL Pakistanis cheats. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    BMX Bear wrote:

Are you really sure about that? I've been under many bridges and never seen any Trolls, but then again I've not been looking that close.

Yeah, but you're not a goat, are you. Are you?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Are all trolls curmudgeonly? Maybe this is unhelpful labelling of a minority, even an endangered species?

You hardly ever see them (even if you look under bridges) and yet they have such a bad reputation that they are discriminated against on the internet service. That seems to me a bit bigoted, really :(

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Yerp, trolls live under bridges and demand money for a toll to let you pass..

Or at least that's what every adult/book/tvshow i saw when i was a kid drummed into you.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Trolls can be very useful.

saab_troll_decal.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • anto164 wrote:
    Yerp, trolls live under bridges and demand money for a toll to let you pass..

Or at least that's what every adult/book/tvshow i saw when i was a kid drummed into you.

That's why that private motorway up near Brum is losing money - drivers are afraid of the trollgates