Swap tyres front & back for the winter??

Aud Reekie MTB
Aud Reekie MTB Posts: 164
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I know the usual advice is to have the grippier tyre on the front and the lower rolling resistance on the back, but is it not a btter idea to have a grippy tyre at the back for the winter so you don't slide about on the climbs?

At the moment I have Rocket Ron, a Nobby Nik and a Conti Vertical, trying to decide how to arrange things for the winter!

Cheers for any thoughts.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    So you have now climbed to the top with great success because there's lots of grip on the rear end.

Now the problem you have is going down, as most of the braking is on the front wheel and the grip is on the back, plus the steering is shot.

If you need to increase the grip on the back then as night follows day you need more grip on the front.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get another NN and run both Front and back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    nicklouse wrote:
    get another NN and run both Front and back.

+1
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • Cheers guys, what would you put front and back out of the Nobby Nik and the Conti Vertical that I alreay have? (money's a bit tight :) ).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cheers guys, what would you put front and back out of the Nobby Nik and the Conti Vertical that I alreay have? (money's a bit tight :) ).

so why ask in Buying advice?

nic on the front

conti on the rear but it aint any better than the RR when it gets wintry.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Fatter tyre on the front to aid grip in slippy conditions.
    Grippy but thin-ish tyre on the rear so it cuts through the slop rather than floating on top of it.

High roller 2.1 rear seems to work all year round for me. I change the front depending on what I want from it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5