triple to FC6700 / 9speed setup

cabrone
cabrone Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in Workshop
After having to replace my triple crankset, I decided to go from a triple to a double. I have a FC-6700 however a 9speed setup. I have fitted and setup the derailleur however on the high ratio I am getting a lot of chain noise, i dont think this is contact with the front derailleur, though I have a 6700 replacement on order.
I have read many forums on whether a 9speed setup is achievable, and whether the chain should be changed or not.....any advice or help. thanks Lee

Comments

• ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    This sounds confusing. So 9sp levers, chain & cassette. 10sp chainset yeh? I didn't get on well using a 9sp chain on a 10sp chainset - chainrings wore out after 3000 miles. Could have be a co-incidence but there was a suggestion of additional chain movement causing the premature wear. Could the noise be a worn chain on new chainrings? Have you measured the chain?
  • cabrone
    I read that the 10 speed chain is narrower and reduces the 'rub' when at the higher ratio (large chainring small cassette), this is possible what I have. ive read where it is suggested to keep the chain the same as the cassette?
    i've not measured the chain however I was going to remove to check for wear tonight.
    Thanks, Lee
  • cabrone
    I read that the 10 speed chain is narrower and reduces the 'rub' when at the higher ratio (large chainring small cassette), this is possible what I have. ive read where it is suggested to keep the chain the same as the cassette?
    i've not measured the chain however I was going to remove to check for wear tonight.
    Thanks, Lee
  • Ended up raising the front Derailuer slightly and reset; now much better. Found another post on bikeforum and seems that the 10speed chain is sligtly narrower and will fix the problem.