drop bars?

warthog562
warthog562 Posts: 40
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
for all you roadies out there, I am crossing over to using drop bars and tested a lovely BMC ssx01 today. nice bike and i orded one but my hands got tired on the bars because they felt to small (diameter wise). is there something that can be done about this ie double tape like a racket or what. only happened when I was on the drops.

cheers guys your thoughts would b much appreciated.

seamus
trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good man - you have seen the light 8) .

I tend to ride on the hoods or on the tops of the bars (hands either side of the stem). I only ride on the drops for sprints.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Were you wearing gloves/mitts? The gel padded ones can make a difference. You can also get padded tape which increases the diameter.
  • no I wasn't wearing gloves as i didn't realy intend to ride a bike just kinda fell for the shiney red one ( magic paint job on the frame) might try the padded tape is bar tape simaler to rackets were you can double up as well. any recomendations on brand/type of tape?

Ps other than that problem which I figure I will get on all road bikes(big hands have the same with my squash racket), the BMC is lovely to ride with an incredibly stiff alu frame and fairly good spec level.

cheers
    seamus
    trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I used to buy the £7 Ritchey tape, but find the Specialized stuff for around £11 or £12 much nicer. It's also easier to wrap.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • +1 on the specialized tape.

I use their 4.5mm phat bar wrap and I love it. Comes with thick gel pads for the tops and drops. Not cheap though... £16 I think.
  • Good man! Personally I stick with cork tape, it's cheap, padded and feels good even in the wet. Cinelli make good stuff, I also have some by Velomann on the Orbea which is great (and was really cheap on eBay).
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Duct Tape! Well, I have a large roll of it, so might as well put it to use 8)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Plus one on the Cinelli tape, really good quality.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.