Mtb Tyre Hell

monkeynuts82
monkeynuts82 Posts: 10
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
I need some help, I have read tons of reviews and buyers guides and its left me feeling really confused.

In a couple of weeks I am going on a mtb holiday, going to be doing lots of miles on gravel tracks and rocky paths I am in need of a couple of new tyres.

I have budget of about £40 for two tyres and I don't know what to buy.

For every positive review there's a negative one stating that the tyres rubbish.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I was thinking about getting 2 Tioga Factory XC Extreme.

Any good :?:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think I would buy anything but Tioga lol, of all tyres these seem to get most flaming.

Tyres are a trade off - you can't have it all unfortunately. For dry gravel and rocks, Continental Speed Kings are good. Roll fast, but let down in the wet. They clear mud very well though.
  • Thanks Supersonic,

The only reason i was thinking about the Tioga Factory XC Extremes is they were on my gt and they seemed alright.

Is this the tyre your talking about ? I like the price.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18853

So they would be fast on the trail but if it rains might get a bit tricky.
  • What about the WTB ExiWolf Race Tyre ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33286
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    Don't want to get you more confused but if I were you, I would buy a pair of Maxis High Rollers

They are not that expensive (I think a pair will be a touch more than 40 quid) and will do exactly what you need.

I have a pair on my Rockhopper and they have been everywhere with me

Afan - The Wall
    Afan - Skyline
    Swinley every week
    Reading to Teddington
    Reading to Oxford

They are great on all surfaces and grip really well.

Just my opinion obviously

I run the 2.1 folding version. Pretty light as well!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Thanks LjStronge,

Looking at reviews and what not they do sound like exactly what i need.

Is this them here ? -

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4613

Is there any benefit of folding over wire or vis versa ?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I would get these instead of those linked if you want the 2.1's
  • Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513

Is there any benefit of folding over wire or vis versa ?

folding are lighter and let you use lower tyre pressures if thats your thing.

you could get a spare folding tyre in your bag. a wire bead may be more difficult :wink:

also, maybe consider a minion up front and high roller on the back. they give all the cornering goodness of a minion, but dont drag quite so much
  • marky-p
    marky-p Posts: 43
    wot about continental verticals, there prob the best tyre ive used so far, ma mates and father in law use them aswell
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    LjStronge wrote:
    Don't want to get you more confused but if I were you, I would buy a pair of Maxis High Rollers

They are not that expensive (I think a pair will be a touch more than 40 quid) and will do exactly what you need.

I have a pair on my Rockhopper and they have been everywhere with me

Afan - The Wall
    Afan - Skyline
    Swinley every week
    Reading to Teddington
    Reading to Oxford

They are great on all surfaces and grip really well.

Just my opinion obviously

I run the 2.1 folding version. Pretty light as well!

I thought the what tyre topic was normally answered with Maxis High rollers.... Just out of interest why did you put these on your Rockhopper? I have Spec LK on and wondered how different the Maxis would be.
  • bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    marky-p wrote:
    wot about continental verticals, there prob the best tyre ive used so far, ma mates and father in law use them aswell

+1 on the verticals trouble is the folding ones are like hens teeth, cant seem to find any in stock anywhere.
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Almost nothing you choose is going to be worse than a Factory Extreme XC so you're in luck. It'd be good to know more about the actual terrain you ride, straightforward XC is very undemanding on tyres so it might be worth going for something faster and less grippy than would be recommended for more adventurous riding frinstance. It'd be a shame to drag around a pair of highrollers if crossmarks would do the job.

But, as another option a pair of Nevegals should do you well, they're not the best at anything but they're decent at everything. Not fast nor slow nor heavy nor light, just sensible allrounders, and about £40 for a 2.1 stick-e front and 2.1 DTC rear. Course there are plenty of others that this is true of too, I just like the Nevegals for their straightforward range and accurate sizing as much as anything else (2.1 Highrollers are skinny, Maxxis's tyre sizing is very erratic and often pretty crooked)

I can't make head nor tail of Specialized's range but I bet they have something ideal too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thanks for all your help.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maxxis High rollers - they just work.
  • Maxxis High Rollers!
  • TowerRider wrote:

I thought the what tyre topic was normally answered with Maxis High rollers.... Just out of interest why did you put these on your Rockhopper? I have Spec LK on and wondered how different the Maxis would be.

I bought the Rocky Frame with nothing on it - so had no tyres to start, so bought the high rollers from scratch.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    bramstoker wrote:
    marky-p wrote:

+1 on the verticals trouble is the folding ones are like hens teeth, cant seem to find any in stock anywhere.

They are a good tyre, but tried the Minions and they are in a different class. Got the verticals in the garage ready for the winter :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I liked verticals, but found that they just get destroyed too easily. I'd literally have chunks taken out of them at the end of a ride.