So heres the question...............smooth legs!

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
What should I say to my girlfriend to defend myself when I say I want to shave my legs?

I am going with the 'easier to clean if I come off' and 'aerodynamics'

:?:
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    because you're worth it? :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• AndyD2574
    pneumatic wrote:
    because you're worth it? :D

Class :lol:
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Mine keeps trying to get me to do mine. I just say i'm a hairy biker.

Ofc this post is completely usless to you but i thought I'd tell you anyway
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just told my wife I thought it looked better and so do all my man friends. She soon shut up.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I just told my wife I thought it looked better and so do all my man friends. She soon shut up.

I though that was because of the ball gag. 8)
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    How Butch.
  • AndyD2574
    so heres the next butch 'man up' question....................................how far up is one supposed to be smooth...............I was thinking of only 'getting rid' of teh hair thats on show!!??!!??

or does one take the lot off?

cue the pansy comments...............................................
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I've gone up to the nipples.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Jordan93
    Jordan93 Posts: 336
    Depends if you have hairy thighs! If you do then you'll end up with the hairy boxers look which isn't cool :lol:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    My wife loves shaved legs, and my daughter prefers my son in law to shave his as well.

Improves your definition.

Oh and crack and back as well, keeps everything hygienic, but 5 O'clock shadows itch a bit :roll: :D
  • Jordan93
    Shaved my legs for the first time the other day but I keep getting razor burn!

Should I shave against the grain?

Any other tips to prevent razor burn!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Does anybody seriously think it makes any difference to performance?

It's all a bit weird.
  • Jordan93
    jim453 wrote:

It's all a bit weird.
    It doesn't, its for aesthetic reasons and wounds are easier to clean, plasters dont rip all your hair off and the chance of infection of wounds!
  • Anonymous
    Jordan93 wrote:

Use an electric razor then go over it in the shower with a normal one...
  • Jordan93
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Jordan93 wrote:

Use an electric razor then go over it in the shower with a normal one...

Already done that! I mean when I shave the stubble I always get razor burn
  • Anonymous
    You need a moisturising balm then!
  • jim453
    Jordan93 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

It's all a bit weird.
    It doesn't, its for aesthetic reasons and wounds are easier to clean, plasters dont rip all your hair off and the chance of infection of wounds!

I've come off the bike enough times, particularly the mountain bike. Sustained all kinds of flesh wounds everywhere, including on my legs. And arms (do you shave them too?).

Thing is, i've never suffered any type of infection that could be attributed to having hair! Maybe I'm lucky.

As for plasters sticking to the hair. Man the f*** up.

Now. What's the real reason?
  • Jordan93
    jim453 wrote:
    Jordan93 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

It's all a bit weird.

I've come off the bike enough times, particularly the mountain bike. Sustained all kinds of flesh wounds everywhere, including on my legs. And arms (do you shave them too?).

Thing is, i've never suffered any type of infection that could be attributed to having hair! Maybe I'm lucky.

The plaster reason isn't the reason I shaved them, I just gave you the most common reasons. No I don't shave my arms, hair holds debris/bacteria so obviously you're mor prone to infection with hair not saying you will get infected. I wish I could be as manly as you with all those crashes and flesh wounds haha.
  • jim453
    Jordan93 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    Jordan93 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

It's all a bit weird.

The plaster reason isn't the reason I shaved them, I just gave you the most common reasons. No I don't shave my arms, hair holds debris/bacteria so obviously you're mor prone to infection with hair not saying you will get infected. I wish I could be as manly as you with all those crashes and flesh wounds haha.

Ride your bike often and hard enough and you will come off it every once in a while.

Just wondered what the motivation for shaving legs actually was. The reasons you have given don't seem enough to me. In fact you've not said the reason why you shave yours. Maybe you just like how it feels, I don't know. But that's fair enough.
  • Jordan93
    jim453 wrote:
    Jordan93 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:
    Jordan93 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

It's all a bit weird.

Ride your bike often and hard enough and you will come off it every once in a while.

Just wondered what the motivation for shaving legs actually was. The reasons you have given don't seem enough to me. In fact you've not said the reason why you shave yours. Maybe you just like how it feels, I don't know. But that's fair enough.

I ride my bike almost everyday rain or shine, and hard!

The last part of my other post was just abit of banter.

There honestly isn't much motivation behind shaving your legs, most pros do it due to vanity/aesthetics as your muscles become(more) visible, pros often have massages hairless legs make this easier. It's sort of become part of the cyclist 'look' many people do it just to try it then some stick with it, others dont.
  • jim453
    edited August 2010
    Good honest answer.

Don't think i'm ready to try it yet.
  • Jordan93
    jim453 wrote:
    Good honest answer.

Don't think i'm ready to try it yet.

I wasn't but took the plunge and wore trousers for a few days all the time :lol:, feels abit strange but i'm used to it now! Just go for it, they grow back quick enough anyway
  • jim453
    My wife would leave me.

Wait a minute...
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    my gf complained at first.....then started monaing when i let them go hairy again. And shaving all below the waist supposedly gives you the "extra optical inch" although I think this inch has appeared on my waist line not where I was hoping it would
  • Jordan93 wrote:
    Depends if you have hairy thighs! If you do then you'll end up with the hairy boxers look which isn't cool :lol:

If you have hairy thighs!? Blimey I was reading this thread thinking "what should I do about the back hair that peeps out over my jersey"

I suspect I'm slightly beyond shaving :wink:

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • :lol: I did have really hairy legs until I shaved but I wear shorts often and play football so my thigh hair has sort of rubbed away! I don't have an overly hairy body, if you have a gorilla back then wax it ahah
  • how far: up to belly button
    Why: because thick hairs and 15 denier nylon stockings is not a good look
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Shave with the grain or you'll get ingrowing hairs and infections

Great one for the belt and braces approach is to get a base oil (e.g olive oil from the supermarket) and mix it with tea tree oil and then liberally apply and massage in (again, with the grain)

Great benefit of moisturising, minimize infection, massage helps recovery and smooth legs. Smells a bit medicinal but that soon wears off. About 20 drops per 100ml should be pretty strong.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • While the subject of hairodynamics is going have you seen Cancellara's attempt to look like Sporticus?
  • Avoid shaving rash - just wax!
    That's what I did - my excuse was I was about to go on a touring holiday and it made it easier to rub in the sun lotion - which it did. Mrs S was a bit shocked!

And I liked the way my legs felt!!