Is this bike too small for me?

2»

Comments

• NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    the top tube length of the boardmans are the same as the OCR and Seat tube hieght is only marginally different. I was thinking his legs was a bit over streched in his pic. the shorter crank arm idea sounds like a good choice . maybe go down to a 170mm if your at 175 or even a 165mm arm length . Ideally your saddle shoud be at the same height or upto 10cm higher than your bars.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's plenty of arbitary advice like 'bars should be 10cm below the saddle' bollox! The OP is saying he's suffering from lower back trouble, so telling him he needs a longer reach and lower bars is a kinda stupid recommendation!
    Getting a proper bike fit done is the only piece of sage advice I can offer based on the proportions, strength and flexibility of the OP and not anyone else!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    It doesn't look any different to my boardman. I'm 179cms my bike has a virtual TT of 555 and a 150mm HT

I'm happy in the drops for most of a 20 mile commute if it's windy.

I still want to go somewhere for a proper fit before I buy a decent bike though, although I am tempted by a canyon.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • UPGRAYEDD
    UPGRAYEDD Posts: 117
    So - basically, my bike is either a Goonies-size tricycle, or absolutely spot-on?
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • Ha not as severe as the Goonies but it depends how you physically feel when on the bike, do you feel your not maximising your efforts?

As i mentioned, as did all show no go, a bike fitting service may be the way to go.

On a more serious note, a misfitting bike can cause injuries over a long period of time, so becareful.

But then again, everyone is built differently.........
    Must go faster.
  • As several other people have said, that frame is definitely too small, when you stand over the frame there should be an inch between you and the frame, im 5ft 10 and ride a 56cm, but have omfortably ridden a 58cm.
    Carrera Vanquish....
  • UPGRAYEDD
    UPGRAYEDD Posts: 117
    As several other people have said, that frame is definitely too small, when you stand over the frame there should be an inch between you and the frame, im 5ft 10 and ride a 56cm, but have omfortably ridden a 58cm.

But does that 1" rule apply to all bike frames? I thought it was just in respect of horizontals, as opposed to semi-/compacts?
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • Dear Upgrayedd:
    Your height is 5.938 feet. I don't know what is your inseam or inner leg measurement. I am sure you will do better with the large frame. This is the giant bike size guide
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/contentPages.asp?pageID=61
    Giant has a slope geometry and 54 cm frame is equivalent to 56 cm horizontal frame.

I hope this is useful.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    UPGRAYEDD wrote:
    So - basically, my bike is either a Goonies-size tricycle, or absolutely spot-on?

Lol,what would Sloth do?.
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    UPGRAYEDD wrote:
    As several other people have said, that frame is definitely too small, when you stand over the frame there should be an inch between you and the frame, im 5ft 10 and ride a 56cm, but have omfortably ridden a 58cm.

But does that 1" rule apply to all bike frames? I thought it was just in respect of horizontals, as opposed to semi-/compacts?

Decidedly doesn't apply to compact frames. If anything from looking at the photos on my home computer is sounds like you are too stretched out and this is leading to tension in your hamstrings and lower back.
    Possibly a taller head tube (or flipping the stem) would help and some compact drop bars so the drops are a bit higher up (if your flexibility in the drops is impaired, but this is all idle chatter. Get a bike fit done!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    181cm is 5'9. Are you sure?

181cm is nearer 6ft or 5.93832021 ft

To me the frame is too small for him, I'd go for a frame with less seat post sticking out and less of an aggressive riding position, unless that is what he wants, but after 3 hours it's no surprise that he is aching.