what forks for a fatty

F@RRR
F@RRR Posts: 62
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
ok i tried to upgrade my OE Suntour XCR's the cheap way by fitting stronger manufacturers springs but its made sod all noticeable difference and I've realised that its going to require spending some dosh to get the result i'm after :cry: .

want something thats going to be good and strong and fully adjustable so i can adjust out the massive sag that my 20something :oops: stone bodyweight is bound to induce!!

mainly red route riding with more adventurous stuff once ive lost a bit of weight

I'm pretty much set on a max budget of £300

what do you suggest

120mm 11/8 aheadset
blk-weight.png

Comments

• an air fork would be best. then you can adjust the pressures and fork feel without having to change the spring.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I've used Reba dual air with no problems but these are 100mm but you should be able to pick up some revelations sod within your budget. Forget about coil sprung at your weight even with firm springs you won't get enough resistance but with air sprung forks you will
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Dirt jumpers? Eh?

Get a rockshox recon or something from tftuned and get them to fit a firmer spring for you.

Or you could get some 120mm rebas as people have suggested and change the air pressure to suit your weight.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Dirt jumpers? Eh?

Get a rockshox recon or something from tftuned and get them to fit a firmer spring for you.

Or you could get some 120mm rebas as people have suggested and change the air pressure to suit your weight.

Firmer spring may not help... they can be hit and miss. Air forks are best for heavier blokes like myself.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Dirt jumpers? Eh?

Firmer spring may not help... they can be hit and miss. Air forks are best for heavier blokes like myself.
    I have the firm spring in my pikes and it seems alright to me, I'm not a little bloke either.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Dirt jumpers? Eh?

I have the firm spring in my pikes and it seems alright to me, I'm not a little bloke either.

How "not little" are you then? Because I have the x-firm spring in my Pikes and it's just about at the limit with my 16.5st (plus pack weight, total probably around 18st if it's a big event) on it, I . I think 20 something would just be too much, it'd constantly bottom out and generally feel rubbish.

I agree with Ben, Air is the way forward!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I also have a little more gravity than most people & have found that my Fox F120R forks work amazingly well & I have only got them at about a third of their max air pressure. You should be able to get a used set for under £300. Might be worth budgeting for a service when buying used forks TF Tuned have service charges on their website for specific forks.
    Suntour XCR forks will never be too good no matter what you do to them. I replaced mine with RS Tora's and need stiffer springs in them. Coil spring forks never seem to come with springs that work for the larger gentleman.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Dirt jumpers? Eh?

How "not little" are you then? Because I have the x-firm spring in my Pikes and it's just about at the limit with my 16.5st (plus pack weight, total probably around 18st if it's a big event) on it, I . I think 20 something would just be too much, it'd constantly bottom out and generally feel rubbish.

12st and a bit, granted at 20st air is probably the way to go though
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I suggest a small chip shop style plastic fork that way you cannot get as much in your mouth and small meals will feel like big ones,and after half an hour you will probably give up anyway

I have provided a link

http://www.pubshop.co.uk/catalog/hospit ... -3077.html

This is what you where after?

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Dirt jumpers? Eh?

12st and a bit, granted at 20st air is probably the way to go though

12st is featherweight as far as i'm concerned :lol:

When I had my domains I couldn't choose between firm and xfirm.... the firm was fine until the going got big and they were just too soft. The xfirm was fine for big stuff but rather harsh for everyday riding.

The downside of air forks is increased stiction due to more seals, but i've not been having any problems.
  • Deffo agree with getting air forks, when I was looking for my forks I was talking to TFtuned for some advice and they said without doubt it should be air forks for anything really over 15-16st (I'm on the heavy side of 18st at the moment myself) and as others have said you can adjust the forks to your weight with just a fork pump, also ideal for when you loose weight, just adjust the air pressure, nothing more.

For 120mm forks you'll be looking at some nice Rock Shox Rebas, try Merlin Cycles & On-One for fork deals :D
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    fatty_foulke.jpg
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    man wanted fatty forks , there ya'll go. :lol:

clicky if you don't get it
  • I went for Revalation RLT's for my P7, i'm on the heavy side of 16 stone and there perfect, air is deffo the way forward for adjustability and not having to mess around with differant springs etc..

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... ON-RLT.htm
  • ilovedirt
    12st? Not little?

If you're 4' 6" maybe :lol:
    By not little, I didn't mean overweight, I'm just not a small guy.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • F@RRR
    F@RRR Posts: 62
    i've been looking and found some reasonable deals but I must admit I'm a bit confused by all the jargon.... single air/ dual air / air u turn / poploc / motion control etc etc :? :? :? :?
    blk-weight.png
  • http://www.sram.com/rockshox/technologies

^ terms overview on site for you
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Hi,

The forum mods might not like this too much, but this is not the place to get advice if you are a big guy.

The racing category for racers over 200lb is called Clydesdale.

If you search for a Clydesdale forum you are more likely to get appropriate advice.

Skinny people generally mean well and offer advice that would be good for them, but truthfully they do not consider what is important for a larger rider.
    For example it is not just the weight, but the enormous power a big guy can produce.
    With my last frame I could bend the rear triangle by pedalling hard!

Only take advice from people of a similar weight, or have significant experience with them.

I used to break a component a ride before I worked this out.

There was some good and some awful advice in the above.

For one tip from a clyde, look for a fork with a 20mm axle, you will appreciate the difference. Most skinny people will not think this is relevant if you ride XC, they are wrong.

If you are curious my bike is a Niner WFO, with a Dorado forks and hand build Kris Holm Freeride wheels
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant wrote:
    Hi,

The forum mods might not like this too much, but this is not the place to get advice if you are a big guy.

The racing category for racers over 200lb is called Clydesdale.

If you search for a Clydesdale forum you are more likely to get appropriate advice.

Skinny people generally mean well and offer advice that would be good for them, but truthfully they do not consider what is important for a larger rider.
    For example it is not just the weight, but the enormous power a big guy can produce.
    With my last frame I could bend the rear triangle by pedalling hard!

Only take advice from people of a similar weight, or have significant experience with them.

I used to break a component a ride before I worked this out.

There was some good and some awful advice in the above.

For one tip from a clyde, look for a fork with a 20mm axle, you will appreciate the difference. Most skinny people will not think this is relevant if you ride XC, they are wrong.

If you are curious my bike is a Niner WFO, with a Dorado forks and hand build Kris Holm Freeride wheels

except the bulk of people who responded on this thread are big and hefty
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    That would explain why the advice was better than normal; the general filth that people spill is comedy.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I'm 18-19st + and running air front and back
    Reba WC Dual Air 100 mm travel up front and Monarch 3.3 under my arse

Ignore the rockshox air inflation guide on the forks, mine says I should run 160psi + i run 90-100 in both springs, on the back I run 25-30% sag
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er