Where to find rubber shims for mounting things on bars

Mr Tom
Mr Tom Posts: 66
edited August 2010 in The workshop
I need to find or make some rubber shims or something similar to mount a mirror and light on my bars and on a bar extender thing which goes on my basket. Does any one know where you can buy them? I was thinking of trying to make one from an inner tube but seems a pity to cut up a good tube. I've heard of people using aluminium cans to shim seatposts so could try this maybe. Any ideas?
Orbit Fast Tour
Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
Ridgeback Envoy

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Many lights come with strips of rubber to wrap and use as shims. Id suspect LBS havd some kicking around from fitting lights onto bikes for people.
  • Depending on the thickness you need, go to you local cobbler and buy some shoe soles with minimal tread, cut them up and presto!

I wouldn't go down the aluminium route. Rubber is more compliant, and will grip the bar/tube where alu will scratch and slip.

The inner tube thing is always good. LBS will have loads of old knackered ones.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, we used to have a bucket with loads in! A good LBS hardly chucks owt out!
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    cut up an old hot water bottle
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Mr Tom
    Mr Tom Posts: 66
    Thanks for all the advice :) Going to try a few things out tomorrow!
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
    Ridgeback Envoy