Steel Frame Buying Advice

specialized989
specialized989 Posts: 145
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi, im looking to replace my specialized hardrock frame for something a bit more retro, but still an upgrade. i also REALLY like the look of skinny steel tubes, preferably renoylds 531. but, i have a limited budget of between 150-300 pounds. i like the look of the on one that was featured in this months what mountain bike, but i would like to know of a few alternatives.

Any ideas?
Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS

Comments

• Sanderson Breath £250 in chromo

On-ones are pretty unbeatable for that sort of budget as well.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • On-one's are always a popular choice. Can't go wrong with a price tag like that.

I quite fancy a Ragley Blue Pig myself (but then I do like the look of the on-one in brown :? ), and they're currently going for little more at the moment.

The 456 and Blue Pig are both designed towards long travel forks though. So that's more money if you want to get the most out of them. You can pick up a tora 318 though for another £150 quid, and still be just about within budget :wink:

I'm too much of a porper to know about more expensive bikes..
  • thanks for all the help lads, really appreciate it. definatly going to give this one a bit of serious thought... :D

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Sanderson Breath is well worth a demo if you're considering steel. sweet frame, sweet ride. but you do need to demo steel to see if it's for you as you might not be able to tell the difference from aluminium, in which case, save yourself the added weight that comes with steel.
  • got a pig and just swapped toras for revelations. was sooooo nice with the toras thou, ive yet to take it for a serious ride on the revs, but yes i wouldnt hesitate to reccomend the blue pig.
  • got a pig and just swapped toras for revelations. was sooooo nice with the toras thou, ive yet to take it for a serious ride on the revs, but yes i wouldnt hesitate to reccomend the blue pig.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I would. It's heavy with a geometry that's not necessarily suited to everyone, it's a definite try before you buy.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I've got an inbred & really like it, the frame is quite long & low. If you want something a bit more upright (simalar to your hardrock), take a look at the Rock Lobster 853 from Merlin. As the name says, Reynolds 853 tubing, skinny looking tubes & half a pound lighter than the inbred. The frame looks great in the flesh, ther have one on display in the shop.
  • I've got a standard inbred which is a sweet bike considering the price.
    Had a rocklobster before - it had a nicer feel and it was lighter than the inbred, but the top tube was just too short for my liking.
    I prefer to be a bit more stretched out when riding so the inbred suits my position better. Just a shame they don't do it in 853 anymore.
    Guess it depends on what forks you are going to run as well - standard inbreds, sanderson, rocklobsters all suited for shorter travel. Ragleys and the 456 all suited for longer travel.
    If you are feeling flush you could always look at a Cotic Soul - never hear a bad word about them.
    I am considering getting a Sanderson Life 853 (long TT again) but still have to persuade the missus I need it :roll:
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Lobster ??? http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... me_697.htm
    Sure they could get your size if not stocked
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    RAGLEY PIG X...very nice.

I had the Airborne Black Widow which was Reynolds 853, nice smooth ride.

Almost as good as their Ti Lucky Strike. In fact, was a better descender, but not as good a climber.

853 is a great base for a XC hardtail.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd be looking for a used Cotic Soul were I you, there's not a better all-rounder hardtail IMO. Or, a 456 is always a good option, they're not amazing but they're cheap.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    I'd be looking for a used Cotic Soul were I you, there's not a better all-rounder hardtail IMO. Or, a 456 is always a good option, they're not amazing but they're cheap.

That mean your about to sell your Soul :wink:

And take it back about 456's not being amazing :lol::lol::lol:
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I had a lobster and it was a great bike, the geometry was absolutely spot on and it felt so perfect for me it could have been custom built just for me.

A friend has an on one inbred and again its a great frame, its a bit longer than the lobster and can take a longer fork but the sweet spot for it is 100mm, he absolutely loves it and wouldnt swap it for anything else.
  • thanks very much for all the help. can you tell me if there is any difference between On One 456 frame tubing, ( i think that they use their own "DN6"?) and renolyds 531? O One claim that it is their equivalent, but im not convinced.

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If anything the DN6 stuff should be superior strength wise - OnOne on the sticker claim it is heat treated, while 531 is not.

But without knowing the tensile strengths is hard to tell.

As ride quality goes, depends on tube and frame dimensions. All steel is the same stiffness.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Isn't the accepted belief (might even be a fact, but can't be bothered to look into it) that 531 is just ordinary Taiwanese 4130 Cro-Mo with a Reynolds sticker on it?

Fwiw, I've got an Inbred and it's excellent value for money. Probably would be if it cost more too. now I've had it a while though I do have a hankering for a Cotic Soul, but there's no way to justify purchasing one. I might also be tempted by the new Ragley Piglet, though it does sound very similar to the Inbred.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Cove Handjob is also another to consider - I think they are pretty similar to the Cotic Soul in geometry but can be picked up a bit cheaper second hand.
  • thanks again dudes. went into my LBS earlier today, and the cheapest steel frame that they had was still way more than the one one 456 and the on one inbred. so im wondering why the one ones are so cheap? They seem to be good, so im seriously considering spending the money saved on a better fork.

• On-ones are so cheap because they sell direct, therefore don't have to pay the profit margin the shops usually charge. Add 40% to on-one's prices and they're more in line with their competitors.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    warpcow wrote:
    Isn't the accepted belief (might even be a fact, but can't be bothered to look into it) that 531 is just ordinary Taiwanese 4130 Cro-Mo with a Reynolds sticker on it?

Accepted ??? don't think so as that would be against the law...Reynolds steel is Reynolds steel......simple
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    As far as I remember the chemistry/composition is slightly different but the behavior of the steel isn't significantly different, so yep it's essentially a branding thing but not just rebranding.
    Uncompromising extremist